Cost to get a bedroom painted....

Old 09-19-06, 08:05 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cost to get a bedroom painted....

I'm short on time so am going to have a painter paint one of my bedrooms.

Room is 15x11 with 9' ceilings. Walls are white and since I took a chair-rail down I did all the spackeling,etc.

Painter is going to do 2 coats on the walls (flat or satin), ceiling (flat) and trim (semi gloss) and also caulk any gaps in moldings, etc. Also going to paint the inside of the closet. He is using sherwin williams paint.

Price I got was $575 which seems high to me and he said it would take him 2 days. What do you think?

Old 09-19-06, 02:22 PM
i don't know about the estimate, but just a quick thing: i think you need to prime over the spackled areas or the paint will look different on those spots than it does on the rest of the wall.

also, it might help to know what color you're painting the walls. something dark/rich like red or navy will take more time & coats.

Old 09-19-06, 07:40 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
...also depends greatly on what part of the country you are in as it's mostly labor which can vary greatly....like you wouldn't believe

That'd be a great deal around here

The best way to find out the going rate for your area is to get 3+ estimates
Usually any very low or super high ones can be discarded

Ask to see their license (if req'd in your state) and the insurance papers (liability) and make sure the contract states specifically the steps that will be taken and the e x a c t products to be used (SW has some pretty cheap paints too)
Also ask for the names/numbers of some previous customers (references) and call them

A fair, honest, professional will not balk at any one of these requests
In fact, they should provide them whether or not you ask for them

Old 09-20-06, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As mentioned, depends on your area. IMO, that price is too high AND 2 days is way too long for a 'pro' to spend painting an 11x15 room.

You will need a primer, but a quality paint doesn't require 2 coats.

Home Depot now does painting, though I don't know there rates, just saw the sign in the store.

Old 09-20-06, 05:52 AM
Iím not an expert on painting prices, but my wife and I are going to be looking for a professional painter to come in and paint a lot of our home. I would say the room plus closet, 2 coats for 575 probley is average though. But I would defiantly advise to get more quotes! And make sure they are insured and bonded incase they mess up your flooring or anything else.

Good Luck,

Mark

Old 09-20-06, 08:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Unless you are dealing with a contractor you know, trust and want him to do the work at any cost, you should always get multiple bids. Even when you know who you want to do the work prior to bidding it doesn't hurt to have other bids. I have done a lot of jobs where I was the high bidder but between my reputation [for good work] the use of quality coatings and inclusion of little details [that make the job professional] I was able to both get the job and satisfy the customer with price paid. High bid doesn't always equal the biggest profit.

While 1 room shouldn't equal 2 full days work with the number of coats and allowing materials to dry before proceding with the next step - the time line is correct. The quoted price would be high for east tenn but possibly low for new york city or LA. Multiple bids should educate you on local pricing.

Old 09-20-06, 01:25 PM
B
Normally I also recommend getting two more bids. But in your case, its one room. The bids shouldn't be that far apart. Depending on how far the other painters would have to go and how busy they are, you may have trouble getting two more to even come out and bid it.

Unless you have doubts about the painter in question.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: