How to Mask off a "Popcorn" Ceiling?

Old 09-25-06, 06:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How to Mask off a "Popcorn" Ceiling?

Hello All,
I am a newbie at painting so any advice is greatly appreciated...

I am getting to ready to paint the interior walls of a bedroom that has a "popcorn" textured ceiling. I only want to paint the walls and not the ceiling. How can I go about masking off the ceiling so that when I edge the walls near the ceiling, it doesn't get painted as well? The texture of the popcorn is such that I don't think I can get any tape to stick properly to it.

Has anyone else out there figured out a good approach? Thanks for any and all tips!

Regards,
Barb.

Old 09-25-06, 08:24 PM
I definitely wouldn't consider masking this type of ceiling. The tape will pull the popcorn off.

I'd use a paint edger shield. I have several, one about a foot long, and another about 2 feet long. If you're right handed, you hold it in your left hand and place the metal edge up in the crack between the ceiling and the wall. You press it firmly in the crack so no paint can get behind it (some always does though; but, just leave it and move on...you can touch up the ceiling afterwards if necessary).Then you use a paint brush to paint the top couple of inches of the wall, up to the metal edge. Then you pull the metal edger shield down, wipe off the back edge (if any paint got behind there), and move on down the wall. Go all the way around the room. You'll get the hang of it as you move along. Then come back with your roller to finish off the walls.

You can get paint edger shields at Lowes and Home Depot.

Old 09-26-06, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As a pro painter I always cut the ceiling in with a brush. Taking a putty knife and dragging the edge of the knife along the edge of the ceiling will help to create a better line. It may also help a shield be more effective. WHEN USING A SHIELD ALWAYS WIPE IT CLEAN after every move to avoid transfering paint onto the ceiling.

A good brush also makes cutting in a lot easier. I would recomend a 2.5" purdy sash [angle] brush.

BTW welcome to the forums

Old 09-27-06, 02:37 PM
B
Smile Thanks for the tips! One more question...

Thanks guys for the help on this! Those tips will help a lot. One last very simple question...

When I'm edging the top of the walls near the ceiling joint (with the Paint Shield intact), should I be applying with the brush vertically or horizontally ?

I suspect it's vertically (to match what I'll do with the roller), but wanted to check it first.

Thanks again!
Barb.

Old 09-27-06, 04:38 PM
Horizontally. This may make you think it won't look right because when you roll the rest of the wall you'll be rolling vertically. But, when the paint dries, you can't tell.

Since you're new to painting here's a couple of other tips:
- While you're painting with the brush, go ahead and paint the corners. Paint about 2 inches out from each corner. You won't be able to use the roller in the corners.
- Go ahead and paint a band around the baseboard with the brush too. Use the paint shield there to. Just lay it parallel and on top of the top edge of the baseboard, the push it firmly against the wall while you paint above it. Use as little paint as possible to avoid it bleeding under the shield. If it does anyway, get a paper towel, wet it, fold it over something like a paint scraper or plain old kitchen butter knife, and wipe off the excess as you go.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: