Painting an old oil tank

Old 09-26-06, 08:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Painting an old oil tank

I have an old oil tank in my basement. We recently painted the walls and floor, which were basic grey concrete and concrete block, and now the oil tank sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't need to make it beautiful but would like to put a coat of paint on it just so it doesn't look so awful.

Can I do this? If so, how? Is there a cleanser I should use to cut through the oily grime on the thing (it's REALLY old), or should I just sand it? What type of paint? And spray paint or roller?

Goodness, so many questions.... I can just see myself doing this wrong, though, and having the paint peel off and look even worse than it does now.

Old 09-26-06, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Yes it can be painted, preferably with oil base paint. Obviously the cleaner you can get the tank the better the paint will adhere. You should clean first and then sand. It doesn't have to be pristine but paint has a hard time sticking to dirt.

The paint can be applied with brush, roller or spray - whichever works best for you.

Old 09-26-06, 11:44 AM
T
Smile

Thank you so much for the help. This is exactly the information I was looking for. One further question -- what would you recommend I use to clean it off before sanding -- water? soap and water? something else entirely?

Again, thanks for the help and for the welcome to the forum! You guys have some great info here.

Old 09-26-06, 02:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Soap or detergent would be a good place to start. You might need to use paint thinner to get most of the oil off.

Old 09-30-06, 08:06 AM
T
Talking Thanks, MarkSR

It worked great -- thanks so much for the guidance! The tank looks fantastic now, no longer an eyesore in the basement. We washed it with TSP, sanded it, then rinsed with soap & water. One coat of oil-based rustoleum rolled on and it was better than new. You helped a lot -- thank you!

Old 09-30-06, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your more than welcome, glad it came out great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: