The Weirdness of Airless Sprayer Tips

Old 09-26-06, 10:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Weirdness of Airless Sprayer Tips

Is it just me or are airless sprayer tips labeled wrong? In my experience they always have a fan pattens several inches bigger than advertised even at the minimum pressure.

I just painted the old carport structure which is made of 2x6 and 2x4 lumber. My virgin 313 tip, which should be nominal 6 inch fan, is more like 8 or 9 inches and I find that I'm squirting tons of $30 paint into oblivion. The only smaller tip I have is a 211 Dual Oriface Fine Finishes tip which incidentally only has one oriface. It also had a rather bizarre pattern, the fan being rotated 90 degrees from normal position relative to the holder. Anyhow I didn't expect sherwin-Williams A-100 would make it thru a .011 hole but it actually worked pretty good. The spray was slower of course but that made it easier to control and manouver around irregular surfaces and edges and corners. It clogged a bit more than a "normal" tip but it was worth it.

Old 09-27-06, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I don't remember the formula but a #3 tip puts out a 6" fan at a specified distance. Since you had a larger fan that means you were further away from from the surface being sprayed.

Pump size has more to do with what material can be sprayed than tip size does. Smaller pumps will struggle with heavier paint no matter what size tip while a big pump can force most any paint thru any tip.

Old 09-27-06, 10:47 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pump I used is mucho strong. I think it would squirt a camel thru the eye of a needle.

I was just looking at my Airlessco operator manual and they give a range for fan widths. For example it says a 313 tip shoots a 6-8 inch fan at a distance of 12 inches. Probably varies with the material you're spraying. Strange that the tip labeled as double oriface only has one but in this case that was a good thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: