Floor woes (painting subfloor)

Old 10-01-06, 10:34 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor woes (painting subfloor)

I have a room in my house which is pretty much been the kids/pets hang out. Now, to my dismay, the carpet in that room has been well beyond cleaning. From PB&J stains to pet pee smell. It looks horrible and when you go to certain spots of the room and get close o the floor, the smell is just as bad. Steam cleaning does not help it a bit nor does the spay cleaner that claims to remove pet oder. Now, one thing that I have been thinking of doing is to just rip up the carpet and padding and for the time being living on the sub-floor until we can afford to put down laminate flooring or even painting the sub-floor which from a couple of web sites that I have been to seems to turn out pretty good. But, those floors were plywood. My sub-floors look to be the OSB type of floor. I have not run into OSB much and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of having OSB for a sub-floor.

Old 10-11-06, 11:35 AM
i've moved your post from Carpeting to the Painting topic, since it sounds like that's pretty much your objective.

good luck.

Old 10-11-06, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Osb paints fairly well. You will need to use an oil base primer to prevent any bleeding since osb is made of chips from various types of wood. The top coat can be either latex or oil base.

If you want the osb to appear as smooth as plywood, it will take extra coats of paint. The only problem I can forsee is possible chipping/flaking of little pieces of wood in the osb. I would expect this to be very minor, maybe not at all.

If any of the pet urine has seeped into the sub floor a good solvent based primer should lock the smell in.

Old 10-11-06, 01:29 PM
G
Painting subfloor

I would recommend a shellac based primer such as BIN. This is different from an oil-based primer such as Kilz. The advantage to BIN is that it is alcohol based vs paint thinner. Dry time is around 30 min or less depending upon ventilation. Also shellac is designed to block odors such as pet urine, and smoke damage. Kilz can block such odors, but is not specifically designed for this purpose, and can allow these odors to come out. Bad news if it does, and your new carpet is laid down.
Good luck!

Old 10-11-06, 06:42 PM
B
Its almost a certainty that the per pee has soaked into the wood.

My personal preference is to not paint the osb. Years ago I built a shed using osb and painted it. Always hated how that looked and that was just a shed. Though, an inexpensive area rug may help.

Another option is getting a carpet remnant. Color options are limited, but it can be pretty cheap.

Old 10-11-06, 07:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by groundbeef
I would recommend a shellac based primer such as BIN.
I agree that pigmented shellac will block odors better and it does dry fast. It also has a strong odor of it's own and I wouldn't look forward to priming a whole floor with it if I didn't have to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: