Exterior Painting

Old 10-03-06, 01:08 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior Painting

This may be the wrong forum for this question but I could not find painting in the external home improvement section.

Getting ready to re-paint our home. It's been about 8 years since we last did this. What is the best application method? I've heard people say the best way to get a quality, long-lasting paint job is to spray it first then follow up with a rolled coat. Although it's most likely we will do this ourselves, I'm going to go ahead and get a couple of bids to see how expensive it would be to have it professionally done. What application method should I have bid?

Thx,

Old 10-03-06, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
This is the correct forum
Hard to say if spraying would be the best application method without taking all factors into consideration. More paint can be applied by spray and backrolling or back brushing helps to work it into the substrate. It is also possible for less paint to be applied but it still 'look' good.

The main things for a good paint job are good prep and use of good materials.

Old 10-03-06, 08:07 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there,

I am assuming you are painting weatherboards. If you are, the best way to go about this job is to prepare the surface by washing & sanding the old paint down. If there is any flaking paint, this needs scraping off.

As for spraying, I have done this before and it was only beneficial because it was a simple house to spray. Take into consideration other things like windows which will need masking, and the ground surfaces. Is your house really worth setting up for a spray?

Regardless of your method of application, it should always be brushed into the timber for the best penetration & finish. To roll finish, you will have the texture of the roller nap which I personally don't like. I would only finish with a rolled surface if it is an actual flat wall board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: