cracked paint work

Old 10-05-06, 08:37 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down cracked paint work

Help!!-I have recently painted over walls that I have subsequently realised had a gloss type paint on them. The walls were originally a very dark shade of purple, so i did a couple of coats of plain white emulsion and then a coat of my chosen colour. Since the paint has dried there is rather a lot of cracking. I have since tried to use sand paper to smooth away the cracks and have re-applied a coat of paint. Its a bit better, but I can still see some cracking - how do I remedy this????

Old 10-05-06, 08:54 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An episode on HGTV this morning showed the effects of painting with latex over oil-based paint. They sanded and scraped walls and primed with a couple coats of primer-sealer with a texture filler which they rolled smooth on the walls.

Old 10-05-06, 11:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Welcome to the forums

The oil enamel should have had a solvent based primer applied prior to using latex. I doubt a good primer would help much now.

I would sand the walls well and skim coat joint compound over the cracked paint. You can then prime and paint. A texture paint might hide the cracks with out doing a skim coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: