mildecide paint for lower level?

Old 10-06-06, 09:00 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mildecide paint for lower level?

After you have cleaned sheetrock plastered walls or dryall, with diluted bleach and then washed clean and dried, and the used a product that is a primer sealer with mildew resistance, do you want to then put a finish coat with either mildecide additive or a paint that has it in it? Had a tenant that caused a mess, and had to take steps i had never had to do before, no water problem, poor living habits.

I assume it would be a waste just to put a satin or flat on with out reistance in it or does the 1 2 3 primer sealer do the job?
thanks

Old 10-07-06, 07:18 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the mildew was killed and cleaned by the bleach, then the 1-2-3 should be OK to seal it
(if there's still stains after bleaching, I'd recommend BIN)

It sounds like this might be a candidate for a mildecide/washable paint just to be on the safe side, or help in the future

The best one on the market is Perma-White
It can be tinted light colors or pastels

If you want a darker color, then a Kitchen and Bath from Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams should be fine

I'd stay away from flats, and stick with eggshell or shinier

Old 10-07-06, 12:02 PM
C
Question mildecide paint

thanks

perma white is zinsser?(spelling)

Last edited by centerfield; 10-07-06 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-07-06, 03:22 PM
S
Yes
Actually all the products mentioned here are made by Zinsser
-not an ad or anything, but they do make the best mold/mildew sealers and m/m resistant paint

Living on the shore you tend to weed out the "OK" or "might work" ones pretty quick

Old 10-07-06, 03:40 PM
C
Smile mildecide paint

thanks,
i thought so, i have used the perma white i think now that you reminded me of it, on my bathroom ceiling. works great.

if you have no mildew issues are you still better off to stay away from the flats and stay with these for lower levels, do the flats tend to attract?

thanks again.

Old 10-08-06, 07:09 PM
S
Originally Posted by centerfield
if you have no mildew issues are you still better off to stay away from the flats and stay with these for lower levels, do the flats tend to attract?
Mmmm....probably not, I can't really say stay away from flats if there's no moisture/cleaning issues

Flats do show more dirt, are harder to clean, and tend to mold/mildew more than the shinier stuff, but that's only if there's muddy hands or lot's of moisture
If there's none of that present, it's usually not an issue

A bath or kitchen, maybe I'd recommend at least an eggshell off-hand

If by lower, you mean basement and perhaps more moisture in the air than ground or upper levels, it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least eggshell it
You can get a hygrometer (humidity level indicator) pretty reasonably from the hardware store if you want to check your humidity levels

Old 10-08-06, 07:53 PM
C
Question mildecide

Thanks

I run dehumidifiers in both dwellings, and sometimes they'll take on a 55 pint, a tank full in 24 hours, in heavy mudity. What levels of hundity dictates paint types?
thanks

Old 10-08-06, 09:18 PM
T
Purchase a hygrometer (sold where thermometers are sold) to monitor humidity levels. Use dehumidifier to maintain humidity year round between 35-55%. Run fans to improve air circulation. Mildewcides are ineffective for controlling pre-existing mildew if surfaces are not disinfected. They provide moderate protection from future mildew problems. If there is high humidity and poor air circulation, mildew tends to reoccur. Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air and tend to settle in if the conditions are right.

Old 10-09-06, 08:22 PM
C
Smile mildecide

Thanks

I have one of those, never knew the fancy name for it, stays on the levels you mention.

The problem i ran into, i rented to a no good, never had a refrigerator, left food all over the apartment, paper plates used and messy sitting on the carpet, clothes laying on the flloor,sleeping on the floor on a rubber float, it toook 6 weeks for him to tell
his mother before she told me, and then 30 days to get him out the door. I built the house 33 years ago, used it as a model home, later a real estate office and rental, never had a mildew problem until this jerk walked into my life.

Now it's repainted, new carpet is here to install asap, and is re rented to a qualified respectable tenant and family.

Thanks for all the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: