Need Advice Please (painting outdoor carpet)

Old 10-12-06, 10:03 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Advice Please (painting outdoor carpet)

I'm remodeling a bedroom in my Grandfathers house. I'm doing a Green Bay Packer theme. I went to the local Hardware store for materials. The walls are white and the trim is GB green and gold. I purchased some green outdoor carpet for the floor, to simulate a grass like field. I was wondering what would be the best way to paint white yard lines, like a football field, on it. It won't be a high traffic room, but I will be spending a lot of time in there, so it wearing off might be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-06, 10:41 AM
are the carpet fibers sticking up like astro-turf? or are they looped over, like berber?

do you plan on stepping over all the lines or walking on them? any plans for vacuuming?

Old 10-12-06, 02:15 PM
D
I believe the fibers are looped over. I would most likely be walking on the lines, and yes I do plan to vacuum once in awhile.

Old 10-12-06, 02:31 PM
then i can't imagine what normal paint wouldn't eventually flake off & become a white mess. you'd have white flakies everywhere, all caught in the loops.

but maybe one of the GUYS here will know how they paint the lines on the astro-turf football fields........???

Old 10-12-06, 02:51 PM
T
Acrylic line paint is used on astroturf. This is usually vinyl acetate/acrylic latex. Check with your local sporting goods store. This is not to say that regular white acrylic latex paint from the paint store would not provide good adhesion.

Old 10-12-06, 04:24 PM
D
How do you think a spray paint would work? That's what my buddies have told me to use.

Old 10-12-06, 04:30 PM
T
What kind of spray paint? How will you protect carpet from overspray?

Old 10-13-06, 03:27 AM
"How do you think a spray paint would work? That's what my buddies have told me to use."

Have you considered buying a can, spraying some on a small piece of the carpet, letting it dry, then rubbing with your hands to see if it has adequate adhesion?

Old 10-13-06, 06:48 AM
D
"What kind of spray paint? How will you protect carpet from overspray?"
I figured some type of acrylic spray paint, and I'd tape down plastic to prevent overspray.

I talked to my father last night and he suggested some sort of fabric paint.

"Have you considered buying a can, spraying some on a small piece of the carpet, letting it dry, then rubbing with your hands to see if it has adequate adhesion?"
I will most likely give that a try, probally with all three differant kinds of paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: