Prep for Wood Trim on Cement Wall

Old 10-15-06, 10:08 AM
G
Gen
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Prep for Wood Trim on Cement Wall

I am finishing door trim (which I will paint) that is going along a poured foundation wall. My first choice would be to use wood brick mold.

--Is there a way to prime or prepare wood brick mold so the edge can lay along the cement wall??

Otherwise my second (more expensive) choice would be to use white vinyl brick mold and leave an unfinished, unpainted edge along the cement, and would like to paint the other edges.

--Is vinyl brick mold paintable?? If so how do you prepare it? Which primer might I use??

Thanks!!

Last edited by Gen; 10-15-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-15-06, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
If I understand correctly, you are concerned about the raw edge laying against the damp concrete - painting that edge prior to installation should give enough protection.

Vinyl can be painted.No primer is needed but often it is helpful to add emulsa bond to the first coat of paint. Generally it isn't a good idea to paint vinyl a darker color but it usually doesn't hurt on small pieces. SWP has a new paint line that is specifically formulated to paint vinyl any color.

Old 10-15-06, 01:26 PM
G
Gen
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've edited the original post for clarity.
I'm not clear though. Can a wood edge (other than pressure treated) lay along cement? If so how?

Old 10-16-06, 07:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
While it is always preferable to use PT wood when in contact with masonary, it is an acceptable practice to use untreated brick mould [and other unstructural trim] in contact with masonary.

Untreated brick mould in contact with concrete will fail at some point. Painting the edge that has contact will delay the failure. As long as the brick moulding is kept painted it should last a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: