Painting Around Grout

Old 10-17-06, 02:06 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Painting Around Grout

I am painting my bathroom.

The tiles were done AFTER the last paint job - big Mexican style tiles with a dark grout.

I am priming now, and man there is NO WAY I can cut around this. Either I leave a huge gap or get white paint (and I will be painting the bathroom lighter than the grout) on the grout, which absorbs it pretty quickly.

My thinking is just to do the best I can, and then go over the grout with a pencil eraser when it's dry and basically "sand" out the paint.

Any better tips?

Thanks

Old 10-17-06, 02:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I think you would have more luck scraping away a layer of grout than you would removing paint with an eraser.

I'm not fond of using tape but I believe it might be benificial for you. Carefully tape off the grout next to the base board, try to get as good a bond as possible. Then using a good brush, paint the base trying your best to keep all paint off of the tape.

Hopefully you'll have a nice clean line when you remove the tape, if not gently scrape away a little grout to straighten it out.

BTW while it is easier to paint before the grout gets done it has been my experience that you still have to repaint the base where grout residue was left on it

Old 10-17-06, 03:33 PM
R
Yeah, it's tiled up to the ceiling - and I'm painting the ceiling too. The tape wasn't sticking to the grout which is what prompted the eraser thinkin'!

Old 10-18-06, 05:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't realize it was wall tile If the tape won't stick I guess it is time to hone your cut in skills. Using a good 2" or 2.5" brush should help. I recomend the purdy brand.

I often caulk the tile to the ceiling and then cut in to the caulking. This only works well if you are real good with a caulking gun.

Old 10-18-06, 06:57 AM
R
Sorry. I assumed you could see where I was pointing. Pay closer attention next time!

Problem is, I have a shaky hand no matter what I do. So I think I am just going to have to scrape/flake the overpaint off the grout. And hope I don't scrape away so much that I create leaks!

Yikes.

(This is why I hire people to paint. Usually)

Old 10-18-06, 09:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by rjbinney
Sorry. I assumed you could see where I was pointing.

I must have had my glasses off

Would a shield help any? You could use a wide drywall knife [or any flat thin metal] to help you cut in a straight line - be sure to wipe off any paint with each move so you don't transfer any wet paint to the grout

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: