Garage door surface Preparation

Old 10-18-06, 01:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door surface Preparation

Need some advise. I have an aluminum/metal garage door and the paint is chalking up... What should I do to prepare it correctly so I can repaint?

Thanks

Old 10-18-06, 06:07 PM
G
You my friend have gotten yourself a nice easy fun job! I would use a waterbased cleaner such as simple green. This will cover your cleaning needs, and not harm any plants nearby. TSP is another option, but it can in itself leave a chalky residue if not rinsed completly off. Use a sponge or rag to wash the surface off. Depending upon the severity of the chalking, it may take 2 washes.

After that use a 100% Acrylic Latex exterior coating. I would use a low nap roller such as a 1/4 to 3/8 to help maintain the apperance of the door. You can use a mini-roller if your door has the panel cutouts, or just a 9" if it is a straight shot.

Two coats would be optimal. Primer is NOT needed on Aluminum if using Latex enamel. Satin finish will mimic the original powder coat on the garage door. Oil paint is NOT recomended for this type of surface without special primer. Plus over time the oil would chalk up and you would be back in the same place you are now.

Start to finish I would budget about 4 hours. This includes washing/drying and painting 2 coats. DO NOT DO IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. If you do, you will hate the job!

Old 10-18-06, 06:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Adding emulsa bond to the first coat of paint will insure adhesion if any of the chalky residue was missed.

Old 10-18-06, 06:50 PM
G
Originally Posted by marksr
Adding emulsa bond to the first coat of paint will insure adhesion if any of the chalky residue was missed.
Not to step on any toes, but XIM Latex Extender is a better choice in my exprience. It slows down dry time, to allow better "wetting" abilities, and it is NON yellowing. Also, XIM Extender will NOT void the warrenty of most paints. Use Emulsa bond, and you are on your own if a failure occurs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: