painting tips

Old 10-24-06, 08:01 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question painting tips

ive done some drawings ont he wall using a permanent marker and nothing seems to cover it

Old 10-24-06, 08:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
You'll need to use a sealing primer first, then paint. Don't worry if the marker shows through the primer, it's not there to hide the marker, just stop it from bleeding through your paint topcoat.

I'm curious, why did you draw on the wall in permanent marker in the first place?

Old 10-24-06, 11:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
It would be best to prime/seal it with pigmented shellac. It does a better job of sealing stubborn stains.

Old 10-25-06, 07:44 AM
G
Originally Posted by marksr
It would be best to prime/seal it with pigmented shellac. It does a better job of sealing stubborn stains.
The only caveat to shellac is that it's alcohol based, and many markers are as well. The alcohol in the shellac can "rewet" the marker, and it SOMETIMES will migrate right through the primer, even with multiple coats. If you notice this problem, a quick hit w/kilz aero can help. Shellac is awesome!

Old 10-25-06, 02:33 PM
B
I've yet to see BIN not cover anything. somtimes it takes two coats, but so far so good.

Old 10-25-06, 06:41 PM
G
Originally Posted by bclacquer
I've yet to see BIN not cover anything. somtimes it takes two coats, but so far so good.
Take some kids Crayola Markers, and put it on a wall. Let it dry and put BIN over it. Bleeds right through. If you try to topcoat w/paint, it will bleed into topcoat. These markers are alcohol base, and come right through the shellac. As much as I am a BIN fan, there are limitations. Granted, they are few and far between, but alcohol based stains are its achellies heel.

Similar to using shellac (clear) as a topcoat. It is an excellent warm look, kid safe, and very durable. However, just put a alcohol drink on it, and spill, and your finish is marred.

Old 10-26-06, 05:13 AM
B
could differnet brands of markers be different? We used to have a sample board in the store that had colored markers on it, black permant markers, water stains, and various other stains that we painted over with BIN. It worked great.

But in hindsight I can see why an alcohol based product would bleed thru.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: