Clapboard Painting & Window Frames Quest.

Old 11-01-06, 05:21 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clapboard Painting & Window Frames Quest.

Hello,

Would like to ask a few painting type questions, please.
Live in New England.

a. Thinking ahead a bit here. In the Spring having new clapboards put up on house.
They come pre-primed.
Will be painting them with Latex, sort of a tan-coffee color, with the "best" quality Latex paint I can find

Any suggestions re brand, etc.?

Question: Can I assume that a single coat will do it, or will two coats be almost mandatory ?

b. Also having Andersen "New-Construction" double hung windows installed.

Apparently, they come with a wood frame on the Inside, but it is left as unfinished Pine, the idea being, I guess, is that everyone will want a different color stain to match the other moldings inside the room, so it's left unfinished.

What would most folks use ? Just an ordinary Stain, or would one of the e.g., MinWax products that has Polyurethane mixed in be wiser ?

Or, regular stain, and then another Polyuurethane top-coat ?

Or,... ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Old 11-01-06, 06:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
Duration is SWP's top exterior latex. Depending on color it should cover with 1 coat but 2 coats will always last longer than a single coat.

Most windows come unfinished on the inside. They are painted or stained to match or compliment the interior. I wouldn't use the polyshades on them, it is better to use a stain, once dry applying 3 coats of poly or varnish, sanding between coats.

Old 11-01-06, 03:12 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sherwin Williams Duration is the best latex exterior paint for your application
It should cover with one coat, but I recommend two

And I also prefer and recommend staining, then poly, rather than the stain/poly in one

Old 11-01-06, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Regarding staining the doublehung windows, I'd suggest that you only stain and varnish the parts of the window that you can see from the inside- you never paint or finish the edges of a doublehung because they need to be able to slide freely on the tracks of the window. Casements are a different story.

I also would not recommend the use of polyshades on new windows. I'd use one of the Minwax wood finishes (oil stains), followed by one coat of minwax polyurethane which will need to be lightly sanded with a 180 grit sanding sponge (like 3M Sandblaster) once it's dry. This would be followed by at least 2 more coats of polyurethane, which may need a very light sanding between coats.

Minwax polyurethane is very thin and IMO is best applied in VERY thin coats with a china bristle brush. The thinner you spread it the better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: