Exterior Painting

Old 11-01-06, 06:04 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior Painting

I will be painting my exterior trim and was wondering about what type of caulk to use. My father has a new house and I see where the builder uses a heavy almost rubberized caulk put on witha very wide bead. it looks very nice and it appears it would last for ever. can someone tell me what this type of caulk is and where to get it? i am assuming it not something i pick up at lowes or home depot. all there stuff is small tube latex stuff.

thanks

Old 11-01-06, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
It would be hard to say what type of caulking the builder used. Generally you don't want a wide bead of caulk. A wide bead was probably used to hide poor carpentry.

There are many types of caulking but the best caulking for most residential uses is a siliconized acrylic latex caulk. The higher priced tubes are usually superior to the cheaper ones. I like to use the white lightning brand. There is also an urathane caulk that is even better but it can be hard to find.

As with most paint and supplies, your local paint store is the best place to find quality products.

Old 11-01-06, 06:49 AM
M
Very good, thanks.

Old 11-01-06, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
When you say "rubberized" and "wide bead", what I imagine is that he probably was using a type of urethane/polyurethane caulking, such as Vulkem. I believe it's available in HD. It's got excellent adhesion to many substrates, but it's not really the type of caulking you'd usually use for something that you'd want to tool and paint- as Marksr mentioned, latex is the better choice there.

Ideally, many types of caulking recommend the bead be 3/8" wide and triangle shaped in order to perform as advertised. In practice, there's not many places where that large of a bead looks nice.

Old 11-01-06, 08:55 AM
M
Thanks. From looking at several new homes on my area, the wide bead is common. Used around brick mold and garage door molding. anyway, i will check with my local paint store.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: