Exterior stucco painting

Old 11-05-06, 02:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior stucco painting

If one was going to change the stucco color in the near future (6 months?), what direction should the color of any crack painting go in - the current color or the area of the future color?

Or does it even matter?

Reason I ask is that it seems impossible to get even close to the worn out, bleached out, and various touch-up shades that are there now. It runs the gamut from a sandy tan to a Miami type of pale peach. One way or the other, the house will look like a bad case of vericose veins when I'm done 'paint-patching'.

I took a piece with me to match and 'we' can't get close to the color(s) when it goes on the wall. So I'm wondering if it matters or not for when I go with a brown family color if it'll bleed thru in any way. Or if I should just go with a gallon of a color closer to what it will be after the full job.

I'm putting off the stucco work until after my roof's done (ain't home ownership fun?) so how it looks really doesn't concern me all that much.

I think there's a question somewhere in all that...

Old 11-05-06, 05:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand

If you have colored stucco it may be next impossible to match the faded color. Painted stucco is normally touched up with the same paint originally used. When it doesn't blend the whole wall should be repainted.

Old 11-05-06, 08:12 PM
C
I'm not trying to match it in as much as I'm trying to make any touch-ups and small crack work less conspicuous after the major color change. What seemed to match at the store was way, way off. After bringing a small piece of stucco in, 'we' remixed and matched that. That, too, was way off.

There is no paint available that was used in the past by the P.O. and I have no idea as to what the color is/was/suppossed to be. To many variations, fading and general weather wear all around to be able to go by the one small sample piece.

The house needs a full 'do' becauseof all the 'variations' in color but I'm waiting until after my flat roof tear-off gets done. When it's done it's going to be a much darker color than it is now and I'm wondering if the veiny look from the mismatched patch color would somehow show itself with the darker color change or require additional work with the color change.

The idea is to only paint the house once and being there will be a good amount of work to be done on top after the flat re-roof and some patching here and there I'm hoping any quick fixes I do now on the small cracks won't somehow show themselves after the color change/full house painting.

If they DID show up, I would try to 'mismatch' more in the direction of the color it WILL be and not the color(s) it is. With the condition it's in now, it's impossible not to mismatch the touch-up.

EDIT: I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum as this is the OUTSIDE stucco not 'INTERIOR'!

Old 11-06-06, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assumed you had exterior stucco as it is seldom used inside although some folks mistake different wall/ceiling textures for stucco.

Since you plan to repaint later, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the stucco repairs having the right color. The main thing is to make a repair that won't show after painting.

Large repairs should be done with mortar/stucco mix but minor cracks can often be taken care of with caulking. Depending on the stucco finish, this can be done by just applying caulk in the crack itself or may entail smearing some of the caulk over the surrounding stucco to make it blend.

Minor cracks can be sealed and often made to dissapear using an elastromeric coating painted over properly primed stucco.

Old 11-06-06, 09:03 AM
C
And that's exactly where I'm at - in using the elastomeric paint for the smaller cracks. But being there's such a broad spectrum of 'original' (mismatched) shades on the house as it is, my concern is that the difference in shading between that and the paint I'm using for the cracks might somehow, unevenly, show thru the future stucco color (that will be substantially darker).

Problem being that the 'repair paint' doesn't seem to be able to get close to what's on the house, in shade/color. It's a signifigant difference in some areas.

Again - I'm not overly concerned with matching what's on the house now with touch-up in as much as I'm more concerned with that difference showing thru the planned darker color of the whole house re-paint.

If there's a chance of that happening then I think I would be better off if that signifigant difference was more towards the planned future color. That's what I'm trying to find out - if it's a matter to be concerned with.

Old 11-06-06, 10:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never used elastromeric just to touch up cracks. I've always repaired the worst of the cracks and then coated the entire wall with elastromeric paint. Because of the heavy body of the elastromeric paint there is a possibility that the texture/film difference may show thru the next coat of paint.

Old 11-06-06, 06:00 PM
C
OK - that "there is a possibility" is enough for me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: