Painting plastic molding

Old 11-05-06, 08:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Painting plastic molding

I purchased some plastic shoe molding at HD. I did a sample test by applying a water base paint and I was able to scratch it off after it dried. Is there a special paint or something I should apply before painting this molding? The molding has a white glossy surface.

Old 11-06-06, 07:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
Sanding lightly may help, adding emulsa bond to latex paint can also be benifical. The only paints that I'm aware of made specifically for plastic comes in spray cans.

A trick I've used before is to lightly wipe the plastic with a deglosser and then apply the paint. Go easy with the deglosser as too much will disolve the plastic!

Old 11-06-06, 09:06 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnam
I purchased some plastic shoe molding at HD. I did a sample test by applying a water base paint and I was able to scratch it off after it dried. Is there a special paint or something I should apply before painting this molding? The molding has a white glossy surface.
2 things. Latex can take up to 30 days to "cure". This is different that "drying". Over 30 days the adhesion increases between the coating and the substrate. That being said, shiny plastic will require some sort of bonding primer. I would suggest either SW PrepRite bonding primer, or UMA a XIM product. It is a uratane modified acrylic.

Both are waterbased, easy to use,and should adhere to your substrate. You may also see if your installation instructions (if you have any) suggest a topcoat.

Good luck!

PS, please do not prime wait an hour, and then scratch it off to "see if its gonna stick". Again, it takes time for the adhesion to develop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: