timber frame protection

Old 11-08-06, 12:05 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timber frame protection

What treatment can I apply to a wooden door and window frame in my shower area. It will be getting wet twice a day.
Preferably a natural finish as opposed to a painted finish.
Any luck with boat type timber products??
Otherwise I might have to use ugly aluminum frames.

Old 11-08-06, 02:13 PM
G
Originally Posted by bondibouy
What treatment can I apply to a wooden door and window frame in my shower area. It will be getting wet twice a day.
Preferably a natural finish as opposed to a painted finish.
Any luck with boat type timber products??
Otherwise I might have to use ugly aluminum frames.
Look at Helmsman Spar Urathane (by Minwax). This is a clear coating. Designed for boats, exterior wood exposure as it has UV blockers in it.

I would give at least 2 coats maybe 3. Also, make sure that you closely examine every 3-6 months for wear. Soap scum, shampoo, dirt, and not to mention water will take its toll. With careful maintenace you can keep it up. If you let the maintance get away from you, you will notice blistering, peeling and flaking. This will require complete removal and reapplication.

If you keep on top of it, a good cleaning, light sanding, and coat every 6-12 months it will be as good as new. I would also let it cure 3-5 days after application before use to fully cure out.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-06, 02:59 PM
i've seen windows inside shower/tub areas.....but a door??? you really have a wooden DOOR inside your tub/shower enclosure? please explain! i am SO curious!!!

Old 11-08-06, 03:35 PM
B
there is a potential problem with spar varnishs, i.e. they are not meant to be exposed to that enviroment that often. even in a boat they do not get that kind of exposure, you may be looking at an industrial type urathane.

Old 11-08-06, 07:57 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Annette
i've seen windows inside shower/tub areas.....but a door??? you really have a wooden DOOR inside your tub/shower enclosure? please explain! i am SO curious!!!
Remind me tomorrow to send you a pic of mine Annette

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: