Painting resin garden statues

Old 11-08-06, 09:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting resin garden statues

I live in the Phoenix metro area where summertime means LOTS of days with sun and triple digit temps for three (or even four) straight months. I have some resin garden statues that were originally painted at the factory to look like old stone but have now significantly faded. What kind of paint is best to use on these that will stick and not peel off? I know how to get the old stone effect, I just don't want the paint peeling or flaking off. I am even reconciled to probably having to repaint them every few years or so, but I want that to be from fading and not peeling. Thanks for any advice and help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 10:02 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might want to stop by your local paint store, artist supply, or craft store. They should be able to answer your questions about surface prep and recommended paints. Surface prep will be crucial, which will include sanding for paint adhesion. Surface will need to be very clean, too. You will likely find that 100% acrylic resin paint that is clearly labeled for outdoor use. According to Nova Artist Paints, you will need to know the UVB rating for lightfastness to prevent fading. Lightfastness I is best for outdoors. Lightfastness III is not for outdoor use. Finally, a clear top coat is added for extra protection. You will want to use a compatible top coat, preferably by the same paint manufacturer and that it is rated for outdoors. You will want to experiment applying top coat over paint on a piece of wood or something to test for compatibility, adhesion, and if it turns yellow. Check out http://www.novacolorpaint.com/ and their FAQs http://www.novacolorpaint.com/pages/questions.html