Painting costs

Old 11-09-06, 09:15 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting costs

My inlaws will be moving into an apartment late December and wanted to get an idea beforehand how much it would cost to paint a neutral bone colour. I have about 1600sq ft, with 8ft ceilings. A few nail holes to patch (8) in hall and livingroom I will not be painting the ceilings as they were recently done. The livingroom will need two coats of paint as i will be covering a darker colour the rest is the same colour - just want to freshen it up.......Any rough idea on cost.The landlord will supply the paint. I have called a few contractors in the area and some refuse to come out from the city that far, or need to actually see the job, we would like it done before moving in but impossible to get key to price the job visually in advance......Any estimated quotes would be appreciated.
I am in Ontario, dont even know how much painters charge e.g hrly, per job, sq ft etc.......
Thanks

Old 11-09-06, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
It would be awfully hard to give a price unseen and especially hard in an area where I'm not familiar with local wages/prices. Labor prices can vary greatly from region to region. There also can be a big difference in price depending on the painters expierence [or lack of].

"I will not be painting the ceilings"
Does this mean you will be doing the work? If so why are you looking for labor estimates?
Pro painter's usually charge by the job, sometimes hourly for small jobs and most new work is priced by the sq ft.

Old 11-09-06, 11:00 AM
G
Rates are very subjective. You could call a union hall, and ask what the hourly rate for painters are. That MAY help. However, rates can be VERY subjective. Some contractors may be very busy, and quote a very high rate to either A: Not get the job, but not lose face, or B: Quote a high rate because they don't want the job, but if you'll pay they will do it.

This is not to impune the honesty of painters, but it does happen. Conversly, if a contractor doesn't want to quote the job, move on. If your location really IS that far out, you may need to offer to pay for the quote. If the painter needs an hour round trip for driving/quoting job, offer to pay 1 hour. Its only fair. You may ask that if the painter does the job if the quote payment can be discounted from the job (ie subtract 1 hour off the job).

Keep in mind that some painters use time/material and others just quote the job.

Any reason you cant do the work yourself? After all, everyone on this board can agree that "everyone is a painter!"

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-09-06 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 11-09-06, 11:25 AM
S
Averaging what I've charged over the years comes to about $1 per square foot. That includes materials. Could be more or less depending upon conditions, and cutting. If walls and ceiling are the same color, it's safe to assume it'll be a little less. If walls and ceiling are different colors, it will be a little more.

Old 11-09-06, 11:37 AM
G
Originally Posted by spackle
Averaging what I've charged over the years comes to about $1 per square foot. That includes materials. Could be more or less depending upon conditions, and cutting. If walls and ceiling are the same color, it's safe to assume it'll be a little less. If walls and ceiling are different colors, it will be a little more.
Is that $1 US or Canadian? OP is Canada and that could change the rate.

Old 11-09-06, 11:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by spackle
Averaging what I've charged over the years comes to about $1 per square foot.

IMO it is very hard to give a sq ft average price. Average price for an average job? What consitutes an avearage job? There are so many variabes. How long will prep take/cost, what type of materials will be used - the cheapest that will do the job or the best there is, or somewhere in between.

All pricing should include the total cost for labor and material. Then there is the cost of doing business - equipment, payroll, taxes, insurance, etc. And we all like to make a profit

Old 11-09-06, 01:51 PM
S
$1 US. I always charge time and materials and it just so happens that over time it averaged $1 per square foot and this is based on hundreds of rooms. I am a one man show with minimal overhead. If someone is looking for a rough estimate without having to bring someone it, this is what I tell them

Old 11-09-06, 02:58 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be suspect of any contractor that would actually give you a price sight unseen
Usually those would be "low-ballers", trying to get the job, and then adding charges later

There are simply no magic numbers that work for every job

Even an estimate over the phone or interweb is a guess

I would also be suspect of any contractor willing to let an unknown party purchase unknown materials
That's not usually the sign of a quality contractor

I'd try and find some more local contractors and get a few bids
That's really the only way to get an idea of what that kind of a job is going for in your area

Old 11-09-06, 05:10 PM
G
Red face

Originally Posted by marksr
It would be awfully hard to give a price unseen and especially hard in an area where I'm not familiar with local wages/prices. Labor prices can vary greatly from region to region. There also can be a big difference in price depending on the painters expierence [or lack of].

"I will not be painting the ceilings"
Does this mean you will be doing the work? If so why are you looking for labor estimates?
Pro painter's usually charge by the job, sometimes hourly for small jobs and most new work is priced by the sq ft.

Sorry meant to say the ceilings look great and were recently painted so they dont need to be done again

Old 11-09-06, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do I understand that the landlord is willing to pay for the paint but not the labor? Will you or your inlaws get anything in return for the labor?

Personally I see no reason for a renter to pay for painting. Long ago I've painted rentals prior to moving in but always got a deal by not paying deposit or sometimes even not paying rent for a few months.

While there is a lot that seperates a pro from a diyer there really isn't any reason that most folks can't do a passable job - especially for a rental.

Old 11-09-06, 10:19 PM
G
Wink

You understand correctly. There is no discount for the work being done. The apartment was painted about 14 months ago therefore the paint will be supplied but not the labour. Like I mentioned it needs to be freshened up and the living room is navy blue so it will not go with current decor....maybe theyre just fussy lol...my husband and I were thinking of covering the cost for an early Christmas present I posted mainly to get some clue or idea on costs.

Thanks for everyones support and replies, including the private messages, much appreciated.

Last edited by marksr; 11-10-06 at 06:36 AM. Reason: removed unneeded quote

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: