Liquid Deglosser vs. TSP

Old 11-11-06, 08:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liquid Deglosser vs. TSP

I am converting my trim from oil to latex and would prefer not to hand sand all of it. I know that liquid deglosser is much less labor intensive but I am concerned about the odor. It has been suggested that I use TSP as an alternative to liquid deglosser. I am wondering if this is wise. I plan to prime and apply 2 coats of latex semi-gloss. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

JT

Old 11-11-06, 08:51 AM
S
TSP is basically a very strong detergent.Although it has some deglossing abilities deglosser will be more effective.I've never heard of anyone using TSP in a situation such as yours and do not believe it would give you the bonding properties you need between latex and oil.TSP is more commonly used to clean and prepare a wall for paint not as a bonding agent.

I'm not going to say it wouldn't work out but deglosser and/or sanding is much more commonly used for this purpose.Maybe some of the painters on this board have had other experiences and can weigh in.

Old 11-11-06, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Sanding and applying a coat of solvent primer would be best, but wiping it down with deglosser should provide a decent bond. Be sure to follow directions on the can, fold or replace your rags often and dispose of them properly.

Both deglosser or a solvent base primer will have a strong odor, use plenty of ventilation if possible.

Old 11-11-06, 01:06 PM
G
I don't like liquid deglossers for a couple of reasons. The first is that it has a strong solvent odor. The second that reason, unless you change your rags frequently, after the first couple of swipes, you are just pushing any surface oils around.

I think that you will get excellent results using Simple Green. It smells like black licorice, is non toxic and mixes with water. It will dull the finish if you use a stronger concentration, and as an added benefit IS a de-greaser/cleaner.

This should give you the results that you are looking for, without the hazards of solvent. You can then topcoat with your choice of oil or latex.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-06, 06:31 PM
S
Basically, it "might" be OK
Although the TSP does have s o m e de-glossing characteristics, the "might" is not enough for me to recommend it

I prefer sanding over de-glossers myself
It's not t h a t labor intensive
You don't need to sand off the finish, just scuff it up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: