Can you put too many coats of paint on a wall

Old 11-15-06, 11:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you put too many coats of paint on a wall

Hello,

I am also experiencing the same type of problem that a previous poster had in applying paint (roller marks and dry spots). I am using a high end SW satin paint in the bathroom and for the life of me I can't seem to get a decent looking result. This is my third coat and each time there are roller marks in the paint. What am I doing wrong?? I'm using the best quality 3/8'' nap cover and paint. I start at the top of the walls moving downward in 3'x3' blocks. I try to only overlap where the paint is still wet. I've read that you should wet the cover, ring out the excess water and then soak it in paint for 5 minutes before begining the work. Done this. The most frustrating part is when I take my time and concentrate on doing a good job and make sure ever spot is covered, the worse it looks. Is it recommend to just slop the paint on the walls and roll it out just enough where the paint is not dripping down the walls? It seems less attention to detail produces the best results. At this rate I will have 5 or 6 coats of paint on the wall before it looks half way decent. Sorry for the rant but painting is my least favorate home improvement chore and the most tedious.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 01:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
While I suppose it is possible to have too much paint on a wall, as thin as a layer of paint is, it shouldn't be a problem. Having paint not bond because of improper [or lack of] prep is usually the only concern on interior walls.

I'm not sure why you are having so much problem. I do tend to slop the paint on the wall and then gently roll it out smooth. IMO 3/8" nap is a little short [I prefer 1/2"] but it still should do a good job. Since you already have 3 coats applied, it wouldn't hurt anything to thin the paint a little if it will make it easier/faster for you.

Old 11-15-06, 05:08 PM
G
Is it all over? Or just in some places? I had a problem in my bathroom when I was painting near the lightbar over the mirror. It heated up the wall just enough that it basically dry-rolled in that area.

You can put some latex extenders in XIM Latex Extender is awesome, and non yellowing (unlike emulsabond). This will extend the dry time, and allow the paint to flow out better. It could be that you are telegraphing surface imperfections from previous coats as well.

As far as too many coats? Not likely, but you CAN put 2 many coats on without allowing proper cure time. I would suggest no more than 2 a day to allow proper drying.

Old 11-16-06, 09:57 AM
J
Yes it is all over. There is enough natural light in the bathrrom so no need to switch the lights on. I think I will put one more coat on this weekend and call it quits. I'm probably being a bit anal about it. It's just that if I'm doing teh work, I want it to be 100% perfect. I can pay someone to do a half-a** job if that's what I want.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-16-06 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Old 11-17-06, 06:06 AM
G
No, its always better to do the half-rump job yourself. Save the best jobs for payment then you get your moneys worth.

Old 11-17-06, 09:51 AM
K
How much pressure are you applying? It sounds to me like you are squeezing too much coverage from too little paint. Slop it on, roll it out lightly--if you have too much pressure you will have lines. If you are being too careful, and spending too much time, you will probably have lap lines based on letting the paint dry before you roll back into it. It aint rocket science--but at 3 coats, if you hate doing it, maybe its time to pay someone to do it right. Also, when soliciting advice from experts, its better to use honey than vinegar, and most of the experts that give you advice herein are "experts" not fly by night half @#$ contractors (at least based on the quality of advice I've gotten).

Old 11-17-06, 10:13 AM
S
Also keep in mind that although paint typically dries within 24 hours, it sometimes takes as much as 2 to 3 weeks to fully cure. During this time span, it is not uncommon to notice variations in sheen, but it does improve and blend as time goes on.

Old 11-22-06, 04:34 AM
J
Originally Posted by kimeyers
How much pressure are you applying? It sounds to me like you are squeezing too much coverage from too little paint. Slop it on, roll it out lightly--if you have too much pressure you will have lines. If you are being too careful, and spending too much time, you will probably have lap lines based on letting the paint dry before you roll back into it. It aint rocket science--but at 3 coats, if you hate doing it, maybe its time to pay someone to do it right. Also, when soliciting advice from experts, its better to use honey than vinegar, and most of the experts that give you advice herein are "experts" not fly by night half @#$ contractors (at least based on the quality of advice I've gotten).
Thanks for the info. I meant no offense to anyone in this group. But there are incompetent people in any profession and where I live the terms "craftsman" and "crapsman" are synonomous.