old and ugly kitchen cabinets

Old 11-16-06, 08:13 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old and ugly kitchen cabinets

I'm looking at some cabinets that were painted white, nobs and hinges. running paint everywhere. I was at a buddys house years ago and he had a rock finish applied to his. thought it would look nice here. don't know what he used though. the counter has a light brown color to it... just as ugly... any suggestions would be appreciated. not necessarily fixed on the stone look either....

think I may have found something...
http://www.bejane.com/cabinetcouture?gclid=CPfKvOWezYgCFRZYUAodH2l5AQ

Last edited by steeltwnhomie; 11-16-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-17-06, 04:43 AM
B
If I understand correctly you want to repaint the cabinets and the formica top?

Old 11-17-06, 06:31 AM
S
refinishing the cabinets

yeah I left out pertinent info. I would like to redo the cabinets. with whatever would look nice with the countertops. Thanx...

Old 11-17-06, 06:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I'd remove all the hardware and sand everything smooth. It should then be ready to apply your color of choice. Then either clean or replace all the hardware.

Old 11-18-06, 10:00 AM
S
sanding.

thanks for replying... holidays are coming so lots of time to research

Old 11-18-06, 02:33 PM
B
Are you talking about a melamine product? Something like that is ok for garage/workshop cabinets but I wouldn't use it for kitchen cabinets. Use a good acrylic enamel, such as Sherwin-Williams' waterborne.

Annette can help with the color choice.

Old 11-19-06, 08:16 AM
There is a textured granite-look spray paint out there, available at HD. Is that what you are talking about?

If you like eclectic (or funky) maybe try something more, uh, funky like bright colors? We had these hideous unfinished (badly) handmade cheap pine cabinets that we painted red, green, and yellow until we can afford to replace them. People either love them or think we are weird (uh, nice cabinets?) until we tell them what they used to look like, then they warm up to the funky look ;-) We got all the paint from the $5/gallon "ooops" section at HD so we spent maybe $20 on the whole project.

Don't be afraid to go bold, you can always paint over it if you don't like it. Just be sure you do a good prep work job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: