Popcorn Ceilings

Old 11-17-06, 02:35 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Popcorn Ceilings

Is there any special way to paint popcorn ceilings? Am I correct to use a 3/4 nap roller or so and go to town.

Also, there were some areas that I had to touch up with compound, can I use that spray texture (in a can) to touch up where I compounded? Never used it before, anyone?

Old 11-17-06, 04:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I wouldn't use a nap smaller than 3/4", I usually use 1" - 1.5"

Painting popcorn that has never been painted can be tricky. If any of the popcorn is deteriated, it may disolve and turn loose if it gets overly wet with latex paint. 2 ways around this is to either spray the ceiling [usually not a good idea in an occupied home] or prime/paint it with oil base. Sometimes you can get by with just rolling on latex [what I usualy do] you can't stay in one spot long or go back and repaint any areas - wait until dry to touch up any missed spots.

The best way to spray popcorn is with a hopper gun. I don't know any pros that like the aerosol cans of texture but some diyers have success with them. Any type of spray texture will be messy so be prepared!

Old 11-17-06, 08:00 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I will sometimes use a quality 3/4 and ceiling paint for popcorn
I prefer a larger nap though
It is true you need to watch out and stop at any sign the popcorn may not survive a coating of latex paint
In that case, an oil primer is needed

I've used the spray can texture for small repairs
It requires a delicate touch, but can work

Old 11-21-06, 11:12 AM
A
I think then, being that it is currently unoccupied, I will try to spray the ceiling, rather than rolling. That seems like the safest.

Old 11-21-06, 11:17 AM
A
Im not sure if it is an oil or latex that is there now. Can I use spray a latex paint over it, or is oil the best?

Old 11-21-06, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you spray, make sure you cover up everything well. Overspray has a nasty habit of migrating thru the home

For best results 2 light coats will work better than 1 heavy coat. You don't want to get the popcorn overly wet.

Old 11-21-06, 11:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It is highly unlikely that it has oil base paint on ceiling. Latex should be fine, especially if the ceiling has no sheen.

Old 11-21-06, 03:35 PM
G
There is a SPECIAL ROLLER for popcorn ceilings. It is a 3/4" Foam Cover, with slits cut into it. It is designed to coat the ceiling and not pull down the popcorn. Light coverage is best, try not to soak the ceiling.

Spraying is best, as you don't actually touch it.

Old 11-22-06, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The slit foam covers may not work well for everyone. An SWP rep gave me one to try back when they first came out, I wasn't impressed. But then I'm old school and still use 100% lambs wool covers almost exclusively.

Old 11-22-06, 08:13 AM
G
Originally Posted by marksr
The slit foam covers may not work well for everyone. An SWP rep gave me one to try back when they first came out, I wasn't impressed. But then I'm old school and still use 100% lambs wool covers almost exclusively.

No, but they do generally work better than a standard roller that "pulls" the popcorn off. I would prefer to spray myself, but if its not practical or possible, then the foam roller may be the ticket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: