Painting Help

Old 11-20-06, 08:39 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Help

We painted a bedroom over the weekend and it's a mess. Apparently we used an inferior paint and the first coat looked a mess. It didn't want to cover. (We used a dark orange on a sky blue and white.....no primer). I figured the second coat would balance things out but it's still a nightmare. The white areas still did not cover and it's extremely spotty and in some areas, really thick to cover.

I want to start over. Better paint plus primer.

My question is, should I sand the walls prior beginning again? (We used semi-gloss). My current plan is to buy a finishing sander and go over the walls completely. Then prime. Then repaint with another brand of paint. (Dutch Boy worked really well for us last time but it's not what we chose this time).

Please let me know if I should do something else before I get involved in sanding and priming.

Thanks.

D.

Old 11-20-06, 09:45 AM
G
Why sand? If its a semi-gloss, and been more than 30 days, then maybe. At this point, the coating is not cured (its dry, but not CURED) so sanding is not needed. In fact, if you try to sand, you will get pilling, and your sand paper/block will become loaded with gummy latex. Trust me, its a real pain.

I would go w/2 coats of a quality latex. If its a really dark coating, a coat of tinted primer may be of help for you. Contrary to popular myth, 1/2 tint to topcoat color may not be the best. SW has a tintable primer that uses different shades of gray for deep colors.

This should work fine for you. Good luck.

Old 11-20-06, 10:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Since you have already applied 2 coats of the color you want, it shouldn't be neccesary to use a primer. While a light scuff sanding may be in order, there is no need to use a sander.

I would recomend using one of SWP's or Ben Moores top of the line coatings.

Some of SWP's interior primers are tinted at 1/2 tint because a full tint makes them too dark.

Old 11-20-06, 11:28 AM
S
I'm not a huge fan of using semi-gloss when it comes to bold colors. In fact, I think you get to most satisfying results when you use flat paint when it comes to bold colors. I painted every room in our house except for the nursery with eggshell. The nursery was the last to be painted and I used a Behr flat paint. I am so satisfied with the result, that I want to go back and repaint every room with flat paint. We painted our master bedroom egg shell purple and it is still very reflective. If you are going to start over, you might want to consider other options when it comes to sheen. The age old myth about "scrubability" has long gone out the window with the advancements that have been made with paint.

Old 11-20-06, 05:47 PM
B
Not sure what you mean by "really thick to cover".

Always get your paint from a paint store, not a big box, especially for dark colors. The better quality paints from a paint store really do a better job distributing the pigment.
Throw away the cheap roller sleeves and buy a good one. That will help. Use an extension pole, too.
Don't try to stretch the paint.
Semi-gloss can be tough for a diyer to make look good, even if using a light color. Semi-gloss in a dark color is even harder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: