MF - Portico Paint Brand

Old 11-20-06, 09:25 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question MF - Portico Paint Brand

Just wondering if anyone has ever used this type of paint. I got this from a paint store and was advised it was one of the best brands but more used by industrial companies than for homeowners (but better than CIL or BEHR). Anyone know?

Also, the paint store is about an hour away. One of the colors we got ended up being a horrible colour on the wall. We called around to paint stores that are in our area and wanted to know if we could get the paint tinted a darker colour but they all advised they couldn't do this because of painting codes or something like that.

Can a store only help with re-tinting of paint if they actually sell that product?

Old 11-20-06, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not familiar with Portico Paints.

Most paints can be retinted although any given base can only handle so much tint. I can understand why a store would not want to tint a competitors product, especially for a non customer. It is also hard to duplicate tinting when retinting a bucket that isn't full.

Is there a reason you can't take it back to the original store?

Old 11-20-06, 03:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm curious as to why you'd drive an hour to a paint store when there are closer ones?

Old 11-21-06, 09:19 AM
G
Originally Posted by first timer 1
We called around to paint stores that are in our area and wanted to know if we could get the paint tinted a darker colour but they all advised they couldn't do this because of painting codes or something like that.

Can a store only help with re-tinting of paint if they actually sell that product?
They were most likely refering to the paint code/color # is not recognized by their tint machine. Or they don't have a cross reference to the Portico Colors.

Or, as others suggested they didn't want to clean up the other stores mess. Little like getting a complete engine job at one shop, then calling his competitor to finish the job up for free because you didn't want to drive all they way across town.

Custom tinting paint is much more difficult than the average consumer realizes. Any monkey can key in a code, but for custom tinting (your request) it can be very time consuming. You have to understand how your tint bases work, and how the colorants used interact w/the base and other colorants. Many paint stores use different bases, as well as colorants. This is the most likely reason you were refused.

BTW I have not heard of Portico. Doesn't mean its bad, but I havent heard of it. It may be a regional blender (Like Mautz until SW bought them out).

Old 11-24-06, 08:09 AM
F
Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I will be going back to the store we got the paint from in the 1st place. We just wanted to get the painting done sooner than later so we would have preferred to just run to the nearest paint store, get the paint colored and start re-painting.

The reason we got the paint from a store an hour away in the 1st place was because my cousin owns the store and gave us all the paint and supplies at no cost as a house warming gift to us. About $700 worth of stuff, so well worth the hour drive.

We will be making the drive again since we need additional paint now anyways so all is good.

Old 11-24-06, 08:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yeah, I'd drive an hour for free paint. Please post back to let us know how it turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: