HELP!!! Painting over Semi gloss...

Old 11-26-06, 11:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! Painting over Semi gloss...

I need some major advice!! I was trying to paint my accent wall red and it was the wrong color...I went back and got the right color but...Wrong color was semi gloss and right color was satin....NOW my walls are peeling....what do I need to do??? I need some help fast!

Old 11-26-06, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Im not the paint expert on here, there are others who are, but I'm presuming....
1.- that you're using the same type, ie latex on latex or oil on oil...?!?! (probably yes!)
and..
2.- how long before you coated the semi with satin? - A day..or a couple..?? (Im thinking the recoat was too soon?!?)

Old 11-26-06, 12:40 PM
S
Basically we'll need to know the info jatco asked for, and the exact methods and products used

Normally you wouldn't paint over semi- w/o sanding first
But if the semi- was new paint, it shouldn't have made that much of a difference

Old 11-26-06, 01:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Also, exactly what is peeling? Is just the satin peeling or are both paints peeling to the original finish?

Old 11-27-06, 09:12 AM
J
Arrow Lets See....

This is what happened. I thought I was going to be able to get away with cheap paint...but after the wall turned hot pink I realized I wasn't. So I went back and got some American Tradition and they gave me Satin finish. I made sure the first paint was dry and I started painting over it and the paint started clumping up on the wall...It wasnt showing the original finish. So can I just prime over that or do I need to use deglosser and then prime.

Old 11-27-06, 11:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Was the cheap semi-gloss alkyd/oil base or latex?

If the first coat was oil base, you need to sand off all/most of the satin and apply a solvent based primer. You can then use your satin latex over the primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: