What type of paint do you suggest???

Old 12-04-06, 05:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of paint do you suggest???

I removed my fireplace mantle, which was originally painted with a latex semi-glass. I patched the lttle dings, sanded it down a little so the paint will stick and painters chaulked a few gapped joints (very small gaps). NOW, MY PROBLEM.... when I put this bad boy back on the fireplace, which I need to have done rather quickly, my wife will surely wanna put holiday decorations on it. I need to know what kind of paint will dry the fastest so I wont have to worry about stuff sticking to it. I know sometimes with latex, it feels dry, but set something on it and try to pick it up a week later, it sticks to the paint and ruins the finish. I was thinking of spraying it with Krylon spray paint. Do you think this would be my best bet or is there a better way of finishing this mantle off? Your help will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 12-04-06, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Both oil base and waterborne enamel dry to a hard finish. Waterborne will dry quickly. I don't have sufficent knowledge about painting wood with krylon spray paint to comment on that.

Old 12-04-06, 06:55 AM
S
I would avoid spraying oil based spray paint onto a surface that has remnants of latex on it.You could have adhesion problems.

Drying times are no longer catagory specific....they vary with each product according to it's formulation whether oil or latex.The instructions will give you drying times.

Obviously you do not need much paint to do a mantle.Hardware stores and paint sections/depts. will have smaller cans of both oil and latex enamels.Paint stores usually have nothing less than a quart and some a gallon.I assume you're going with white which is easy to find and is usually available in flat,semi and high gloss.Hardware stores will have qualified help to assist you.Big box stores will not and you will have to make your choices on your own.

Old 12-04-06, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by spdavid
I would avoid spraying oil based spray paint onto a surface that has remnants of latex on it.You could have adhesion problems.
I've never had any adhesion problems with any solvent based coating applied over latex. Most adhesion problems are due to contaminates on the surface. Painting latex over oil base [without proper prep] will also present adhesion problems.

Old 12-04-06, 11:31 AM
S
Just referring to spray paint.I've had customers who sprayed latex surfaces then were able to scratch it off with fingernails.Could have been prep or contamination but it's unclear so I always include a conditional warning.

Old 12-04-06, 02:23 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That's easy
A "waterborne enamel" is the best thing
I have to do mine own over the next few days

I'll be using, and I can recommend Ben Moore's Waterborne Impervo
It's great stuff
I'm sure the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is great also

Neither will dry as fast as a spray paint, but either will provide a much better finish that won't tack up on you after curing

I would not recommend Krylon or that type of spray for this type of project

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: