Unable to maintain wet edge

Old 12-05-06, 09:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Unable to maintain wet edge

I am painting my kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. Originally they were what appears to be plywood faced with a decorative groove horizontally and vertically. I cleaned them thoroughly with TSP, applied a coat (or two) of primer (BIN), and have tried to paint them with a quality semi-gloss latex paint (DutchBoy).

My problem is that the paint dries so rapidly that I am unable to maintain a wet edge - it is like it is just soaking into the pores of the wood. I've painted a couple of them at least twice and then removed what I've done and tried again, with no improvement.

I have no equipment to spray them but am using a high quality brush.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm thinking of getting some oil-base enamel and using that!

JimC

Old 12-06-06, 07:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I've only used Dutch Boy paint a few times and wasn't impressed - but it might not have been best line of paint.

Adding floetrol to the paint will extend the drying time. There is no need to remove any paint that has lap marks - sand when dry and recoat. A cool room will also help to slow down the drying process. I assume you are completely painting 1 door, drawer or frame at a time.

Oil base enamel will dry to a harder finish and takes longer to dry but I don't know that latex enamel is the cause of your problems.

Old 12-06-06, 07:49 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another option is a product called XIM latex extender. It was developed with Sherwin-Williams for use in Proclassic Waterborne. It will not void the MFG warrenty, and is NON-YELLOWING unlike some other flow-enhancing products. It will extend your dry time on the wet edge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: