Painting base, & quarter round?

Old 12-08-06, 05:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting base, & quarter round?

Hello, I have 16 rooms with PAINTED baseboard and quarter round that needs to be REPAINTED. The problem is that the floors are beautiful hardwood and of course I want to keep the paint off of such.

How would a pro handle this problem? I hate tape as it almost aways BLEEDS thru, so PLEASE, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Dale
Indy

Old 12-08-06, 05:44 PM
T
Blue painter's tape should not bleed through. A steady hand and an angled trim brush should be helpful. There are also paint guards that you can use. You hold in front of molding as you apply paint and wipe with rag before moving onto the next section. You should be able to find painting supplies at your local home center or paint store.

Old 12-08-06, 07:12 PM
R
Smile painting quarterround and baseboards

I use a wide drywall mud spreader {12} inches, tucked in between the quarter round and the floor and a angled 1 1/2 inch brush to cut in. It takes patience but works better than taping.

Old 12-09-06, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
All tape is subject to let brushed paint seep under it - main reason I don't use or recomend it for these types of situations.

Using a shield as renolenny suggested will work well, just make sure you wipe the blade clean often to prevent transfering wet paint to the floor. I usually cut it in free hand using a quality brush sized for the job. A 2" or 2.5" brush should be a good size, you may prefer to use a sash brush [angled] Keep a rag handy, wrapping a rag around a putty knife will allow you to wipe paint off of the floor right against the moulding without disturbing the paint on the moulding.

Old 12-09-06, 06:40 AM
S
THANK YOU all for your comments. I will go the hand held edger route, and wipe off any goofs.

Thanks again,

Dale
Indy

Old 12-10-06, 09:17 AM
B
If the floor has a good seal coat (wax, polyurethane, or urethane), the latex paint will wipe right off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: