Kilz Original as Exterior Primer

Old 12-09-06, 09:54 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kilz Original as Exterior Primer

I need to prime some facia board before I paint it. I have a gallon of Kilz Original that says "Interior Use". It is an oil based primer. Can I use it for an exterior application since it is an oil based paint? The final coat of paint is a Sherwin Williams Duration Latex Exterior paint. I'm trying to avoid buying a can of Exterior primer for such a small job.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 11:16 AM
T
Interior versus exterior are different formulations. Interior primers and paints are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and moisture as are those formulated for the exterior. Like Kilz Exterior, these typically contain mildewcides and additives to prevent cracking and peeling. There are some primers available that can be used for both interior and exterior.

Old 12-09-06, 12:14 PM
S
We used to use (Original) Kilz to prime exterior trim before Kilz became a whole line of primers and "Kilz Exterior" was invented

It might not be the best choice, but I don't think I'd buy another can of something else if I had a Original Kilz around, and needed to prime some replacement trim pieces

Be very thorough about prep, that'll be pretty important
And Original Kilz doesn't seal cedar or redwood well
And it's not that great in real cold temps either

Old 12-09-06, 02:20 PM
G
Thx for the feedback. I had already used the Kilz before I wrote the post. I saw the Indoor on the label after I had primed the wood. The Duration is a very ggod paint ... I've had it on my house for years with great results. I'll see how the trim does on the new addition. Next time, I'll get the exterior.