painting paneling?

Old 12-10-06, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painting paneling?

Greetings from N.H.
I want to paint some old wood paneled walls. It is paneling from the 60's with the grooves about every 8" apart. Can I use wall board mud to fill the grooves? Should I sand the gloss finish off the paneling? If I want to use a bold color should I have my primer tinted? Or.....am I just making a big mistake and should I remove the paneling altogether? It is really still rigid and sturdy and if I could keep it.....the job could go much faster.

-Thanks.
Bob

Old 12-10-06, 05:26 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can paint it if you'd like
It's a project, but still DIY-able

Scuff sand the paneling
Prime*
Joint compound the cracks
(multiple coats if needed)
Sand smooth
Prime repair areas (latex primer is fine here)
Paint with a quality latex paint, two coats minimum

*If it's in real good shape and is quality paneling, and not too dark, you can use a quality oil-based primer
If it's in negligible shape/quality, or very dark, a white pigmented shellac may be a better choice for priming (but much stinkier)

Old 12-10-06, 07:00 PM
B
Best option is to remove it. You can fill the grooves with mud, but it will always look like what it is - painted panelling.

Old 12-11-06, 07:01 AM
I have painted paneling several times before, without filling in the grooves. It is a quick easy fix if you don't want to spend a lot of time & effort. You can just use a brush to make sure all the grooves are covered, and make sure that if the paneling was glossy or somewhat smooth that you either lightly sand it or use a primer. Yes, you can still tell that it is paneling if you are paying attention to that, but it looks way better than the old fake wood stuff.

Old 12-11-06, 07:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
IMO painted paneling with the grooves looks better than poorly filled grooves. Not filling the grooves also makes the joints look better - filled joints are apt to crack later.

As slickshift said, clean and sand, then use a good solvent based primer [tinted will help the next coat cover]

Old 12-11-06, 01:25 PM
thanks to all for the great ideas.....I'm going to paint it without filling the grooves. I'll post back with results. oh yea.....colors are going to be butternut squash on the bottom with a black chair rail on top of that with the upper wall to be a bold red.

-Bob

Old 12-11-06, 02:39 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernard_01 View Post
...I'm going to paint it without filling the grooves...
That would be a pretty popular solution
Most of my painted panel projects have been done this way
It's an interesting look

I've not seen/done one with the split colors
Please post back how it comes out

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: