Wagner Wide Shot

Old 12-10-06, 09:07 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wagner Wide Shot

I am repainting all my house interior (walls, ceiling, trims and doors) and looking for a quicker and better way. I read a lot about HVLP and airless systems. They are faster and give you better finising.
Any suggestions? Did anyone try the Wagner Wide Shot line?

Thanks,

Old 12-11-06, 07:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
IMO spraying is seldom a good method for repainting a house - especially if it is occupied. The extra time/expense needed to adequaetly cover everything up usually makes brush and roller a better option.

HVLP is only good for spraying the woodwork. An airless puts out more volume of paint and is usually the preferred method for spraying homes. As a pro, I only use proffesional type equipment so I really can't comment on the usability of diy type spray equipment.

Old 12-11-06, 02:06 PM
G
Marksr has a point. Painting by spray can be complicated and difficult. Especially for a novice. If you are keeping your carpet and furnishings in the home, I would not recommend spraying.

If you are moving in, and its not occupied and carpet is either torn up or removed its a GREAT idea. You can spray a 2500 sq' house 2 coats (Plus Primer!) in a weekend. Remember to backroll though, or touchup will be impossible later.

If its occupied, and your carpet is staying, brush and roll is your best bet.

HVLP would be fine if you want to take 5 weeks to do the job. It is best for trim, doors, or other fine finishes Not for walls.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-06, 02:35 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spraying is not any faster...or easier, for casual painters
The prep is intense and the potential for disaster is high
It also takes a bit of a learning curve to get it down

In an unoccupied house, walls, trim, ceiling, all one color, someone w/o experience (or a little bit of experience) spraying, might shave a little time off of brush and rolling once they get it going
Maybe

I never spray in an occupied house, and don't recommend it

I have a Wide Shot
It won't save you any time
In fact, it'll cost you
If you must spray, rent an "airless"

Old 12-11-06, 09:20 PM
D
Why the backroll? What do you mean by "touchup will be impossible later"?

Thanks for the comments... BTW, the rooms are empty, not even carpet.

Originally Posted by groundbeef View Post
Marksr has a point. Painting by spray can be complicated and difficult. Especially for a novice. If you are keeping your carpet and furnishings in the home, I would not recommend spraying.

If you are moving in, and its not occupied and carpet is either torn up or removed its a GREAT idea. You can spray a 2500 sq' house 2 coats (Plus Primer!) in a weekend. Remember to backroll though, or touchup will be impossible later.

If its occupied, and your carpet is staying, brush and roll is your best bet.

HVLP would be fine if you want to take 5 weeks to do the job. It is best for trim, doors, or other fine finishes Not for walls.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-06, 08:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
A sprayed coating lays on the surface different than a brushed or rolled on coating. If you spray only, most touch ups will probably show unless they are also sprayed. Back rolling solves this problem, also most walls look better when rolled.

Old 12-12-06, 08:28 AM
G
Backrolling serves 2 purposes.

1. For novice painters, it knocks down any runs that develop from applying the paint by spray. One person sprays, the other is behind to roll the finish on the wall. Or if you are doing it yourself, prepare to sweat. Blow a wall out, and roll it as fast as you can. I would also recommend a 18" roller, not a 9". Much more efficient.

2. Think of your car. Its smooth and glassy finish. Now go and touch it up with a 1/2" roller if you get a mar on it. Thats what your wall would look like without backrolling the finish.

As far as brush/roll as quick as spray? Prep on an empty house should take no more than a couple of hours. Staple plastic over windows (or tape if frames are up) and you can do a house in a couple of hours flat. Spraying is faster, but prep time is greater. The benefits are greater the larger the house. Perhaps a 2 room efficency apartment you would be slower to spray, but not a 2500 house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: