semi-gloss bubbled up on repaired places

Old 12-11-06, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question semi-gloss bubbled up on repaired places

about a year ago, i did a light sand on my very small bathroom wall which appeared to have a semi-gloss or high-gloss finish (latex)...i repaired some places with joint compound...i sanded those joint compound areas smooth and primed with Kilz Latex...the entire wall surface had a light sanding after all the places were repaired, and i used Kilz latex again to cover the entire wall...i then put one coat of semi-gloss Behr paint on the wall...we hated the color, but just left the one coat on until we figured out another color...

as the story goes, it is a year later and we decided on a color...we cleaned the wall with a wet washcloth really good...i sanded a few areas and touched up a few rough areas with joint compound...i again primed the areas with the Kilz latex...just the repaired areas, not the entire wall...

we repainted with a semi-gloss glidden paint this time...great color...the first two coats when on flawlessly...no problems...however, the third coat (which is what it took to cover the horrible color we had last time) had a few problems...there are actually two small bubbles that have appeared on top of the repaired joint compound areas...they are small area bubbles...about 1/8 inches to 1/4 inch in diameter...i rolled over them until they busted...

now, why did this happen??? what did i do wrong??? our painting schedule was as followed...we put two coats on yesterday (making sure we had the required time in between coats plus a little more time) then the final third coat was put on this afternoon...

do we have any ideas out there in this great forum???

thanks...michael

Old 12-11-06, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Most of us pros don't care much for Behr products and if the Glidden came from a big box store, it is likely their poorest grade.

I'm guessing that the firsts coats weren't entirely dry. Deep colors often take longer to dry. Fresh paint can soften uncured paint underneath. Did the paint peel all the way down to the raw drywall/joint compound?

Old 12-11-06, 05:25 PM
paint bubbled

it actually bubbled, not peel...but when i did bust the bubble, it was all the way to the old layer of paint, from last year...

what you said makes a lot of sense...how long does it take paint usally to cure???

and in the future, how long should i wait until i recoat???

also, would you suggest buying the glidden from a glidden store instead of a big box store??? do you recommend glidden at all??? i have heard behr is not the best...i used it once and never again...

thanks...

Old 12-12-06, 06:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Glidden makes some good paint, but every manufacturer makes several grades of paint and Mark is saying that the place you bought your paint typically will only have their lower quality lines. Best bet is to go to a paint store, not a paint department in a bigger store.

Old 12-13-06, 04:19 PM
understand

i understand what he was saying...

how about my questions on recoat...how long should i really wait until i recoat...i used the manufacturer's guidelines (2-4 hours)...i actually waited a little longer...

Old 12-13-06, 07:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
It is a little hard to say how long it should take paint to dry/cure. Many things affect the drying time. Humid or cool conditions slow down drying, so does extra pigment. When applying multiple coats, while the paint might feel dry, the new wet paint can soften up the uncured paint it's being applied to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: