how to fix a scratch in a metal surface

Old 12-17-06, 10:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to fix a scratch in a metal surface

I need to know how to fix a scratch in a painted metal surface....con I try rubbing compound?....If it's to deep can I fill it in with something an fix it that way...what are my options without repainting?...Thanks

Old 12-17-06, 11:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What type of paint is it? what kind of metal surface?

Old 12-17-06, 03:38 PM
T
I'm not sure what type of paint...the surface is inside a elevator...Thanks

Old 12-17-06, 05:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't know much about elevator coatings. I assume it is at least an industrial grade so rubbing compound might work - test a small area first. It is possible [but a little tricky] to just fill the scratch with paint but you would need a color match, preferably the same type of paint.

Old 12-21-06, 06:32 PM
S
In the world of CUSTOM auto's, scratches do happen. If you can come up with the exact color then take a small artist brush and fill the scratch so as to COMPLETLY fill it. Be sure to remove any wax if such has been used in the past on the surface. Let the new paint dry, COMPLETLY, then take a single edge razor blade and being careful bend it ever so slightly so as to put a small radius in the cutting part, then drag, or scrape the excess paint off. TAKE YOUR TIME, LITLE AT A TIME, and you will soon have the excess level with the unscratched paint. The bend in the blade will PREVENT the edges of the blade from DIGGING in so to speak. Then take some MILD coumpound and gently rub the area. Go out a few inches from the scratch to blend in the process, then polish if needed.

Been there, done that, MANY MANY TIMES. That's how the pro's do it to avoid painting.

Dale
Indy

Old 12-28-06, 01:56 PM
T
I just read your last post...Thanks for the info....I used a mild compound on it today and touched it up with a black magic marker....It looks pretty good...The lights are kind of dim...and even when we were looking for it it was hard to see...Once again thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: