Which Ext Paint? PLease Help

Old 12-18-06, 12:17 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Ext Paint? PLease Help

I have been doing some research and the more I do, the more I get confused. I am tryint to decide between SW Super Paint or possibly Duration versus Behr Prem Plus Ultra. I want to use a Satin finish and I want to make sure that the paint I use will hold up in S. Fla. I have a 2 story house with stucco that I will pressure wash and seal with a primer. I would like to get some feedback from someone who has used any of the paints I listed to see what they think. I am leaning towards the Behr due to its the cheapest, the the Super Paint and then Duration. I really want to compare the SW Super Paint to Behr Pre Plus Ultra. The Duration is about 150 more than the Behr but I hear its sometimes hard to work with as its thicker. I need about 10 gallons of paint alone so this is why I want to make sure I make the correct choice.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-18-06, 07:31 AM
S
You are going to get a lot of feedback on your question including opinions from painters but I must say this to you.

Behr paints are considered almost universally as substandard paints.Behr was,some years ago,taken control of by Home Depot and with that change came a major reduction in qualitity to reduce costs so the product could be heavily discounted.

You will also be dealing with "help" that isn't anywhere near as educated and qualified as a paint or real hardware store's employees.

With paint the statement "you get what you pay for" applies and using cheaper paint will result in less life,less coverage,less ease of application and on and on.

Yes Behr is cheaper but the others you mentioned are far better products.

Old 12-18-06, 09:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums Chris

Forget about the Behr paint, or any paint not purchaced at a paint store - too hard to find quality paint products and good advice.

SWP's super paint should do a good job for you. I used to live/work in central fla and know that quality paints will hold up well with the exception of the darker colors fading.

If super paint is to pricey, you can still get good results with A-100.

Old 12-18-06, 09:42 AM
C
You actually mentioned a few things that have been in my mind about this and that is the help from Home Depot workers versus Paint store knowledge. I did feel better at SW compared to HD. I have used Behr inside a lot but that does not compare to the weathering outside so i want to make sure i dont have to repaint in a fe years to save some $ now. I just have not used Behr Ext paint so this is why I started this thread.

Old 12-18-06, 09:47 AM
C
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the diy forums Chris

Forget about the Behr paint, or any paint not purchaced at a paint store - too hard to find quality paint products and good advice.

SWP's super paint should do a good job for you. I used to live/work in central fla and know that quality paints will hold up well with the exception of the darker colors fading.

If super paint is to pricey, you can still get good results with A-100.

So here is what I am looking at. Its $151 more to go from A-100 to Super Paint and $181 to go from A-100 to Duration or $30 from Super to Duration. So now that I have decided to go with SW, should I spend the few more $ and go with Super or Duration?

Old 12-18-06, 10:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
The biggest wear factors for fla stucco is fading and the degrading of the paint which produces chalk - NEVER PAINT OVER CHALK - white film that will get on your fingers when you touch the wore out paint. When you can't remove all the chalk, add emulsa bond to the 1st coat of paint/primer.

IMO it is almost always best to use the best paint you can afford. Each step up in the grade of paint should result in longer life of the paint job. Back when I lived in fla, A-100 was SWP's top of the line exterior latex so I don't really have any fla experience with the upgrades. In tenn, super paint is what I've used the most on exteriors but here we have none of the intense sun that your paint job will be subjected to.

Talking with your SWP paint rep and going over the colors to be used should be helpfull in deciding which line to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: