Need advice on painting wood stained window trim

Old 12-18-06, 06:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Need advice on painting wood stained window trim

I've been reading tons of posts trying to get an idea of what to do and how to update my windows. I mean, this isn't brain surgery, but I don't want to screw it up and have to do it again. Just had new white replacement windows installed, and of course the trim looks like crap now...or at best dated.
I'd like to update the trim to transition and balance the new white windows with the light beige walls, but don't know whether to paint the trim white, off-white, soft white or somewhere in-between. I'd be greatful for some ideas and good recommedations. Thanks, Jim.

See link of pic of my bay window sample situation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/jimtnc/House%20stuff/Windowtrimpaintingideas.jpg

Old 12-18-06, 08:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It is a little hard to pick colors for someonelse - after all you and your's are the ones who need to ber satisfied with the choices.

Personally I like for all the trim to be painted/stained the same. That would entail painting all the woodwork to match the windows. BUT THEY DON'T HAVE TO MATCH, what ever colors you chose, just need to be pleasing to you.

If you decide to paint the stained/varnished trim, there are important steps to take to prep and prime so that the paint will have good adhesion.

Old 12-18-06, 10:36 AM
if you're going to paint the window trim white, does that mean you're painting all the woodwork in the house white (doors, baseboards, crown, etc)? it's preferable to do so. that way, the whole home has a sense of continuity and you're able to change wall colors from room to room, but still maintain a sense of flow. so, if that's the plan, here's what i would do:

get a bunch of different "white" paint chips. ideally, the trim would be the exact same color as the windows, so start there. find a paint chip that matches exactly. then take that paint chip from room to room & see if that color of trimwork would work in each room. pay special attention to how that white works with the white of any sinks, toilets, kitchen appliances, etc. if it works with everything, then go for it. but what will probably happen is that you'll have to tweak it to work with those other elements (which, imo, are more important than it matching the windows exactly, because you'll probably be covering most of the windows with shades and/or draperies anyway). also, take into account your wood tones and the colors in your carpeting, uphostery, draperies, etc. it might be that a warm off-white (cream) works better with your color scheme than a cool white.

and don't forget to take this opportunity to freshen up your ceilings, if they haven't been painted in a while (or ever). if you decide to go with a creamy color for the trim, you won't want Ceiling White on your ceilings. it's too cold, and will actually look sort of blueish/gray in comparison. instead you'd want to use either the same color as the trim or something lighter, but still warm, for the ceilings (or a lighter version of the wall color). (hope that made sense)

Old 12-18-06, 03:55 PM
J
Thanks for the replies, folks. I see y'all are in agreement with keeping the same trim through out the house which I presume is basic design flow, but keep in mind this is a small 30 year-old house (kids are gone and big enough for us) and much of the wood stain is very appealing thoughout the rest of the house...not to mention I'm getting a ton of grief from my wife on even thinking about painting the trim (she likes the dark wood look). Whew!! Long sentence.

I've been able to talk her into the "lightening" of this one room, but not sure how far I can push it. BTW, I'm not a young man anymore and I have my reasons for sinking additional money into this older home, but that's another discussion.

I have been advised by others from just doing nothing to the trim and creating a new window treatment...to painting the trim, chair rail, etc the same white. Here's a better shot of the room:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/jimtnc/House%20stuff/P1010002.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by jimtnc; 12-19-06 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably should have realized earlier that all the woodwork was stained except the chair rail IMO it would look better with the chair rail stained also but that would mean replacing it

I agree that different window treatment that would minimize the effect of the bright white sash would be the best way to go.

Old 12-19-06, 06:58 AM
J
Mark -
would it be worth it to sand the paint off the chair rail and re-stain, or easier to just replace? I'm about talked out of painting the trim. Thanks.

Old 12-19-06, 07:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would probably be easier to replace the chair rail. It would be a lot of work to sand off the paint - stripping would be quicker.

Was the chair rail stained at 1 time? If it has always been painted, chances are it is finger joint [paint grade] and not solid stain grade moulding.

Old 12-19-06, 07:29 AM
are the new white windows only in this one room?

Old 12-19-06, 10:26 AM
J
Mark - the chair rail was originally stained with panel waistcoating below it. It made the room look so small and dated, so I took off the paneling. In the process of re-painting I included the rail too. Oops!

Annette - yes, the windows are new and throughout the house. However my wife has informed me that the stained wood stays unpainted. Hmmmm. I've just about finished all the ceilings, and still have a room or two more to put a coat on the walls. The ceilings are textured popcorn stuff, and I had to learn very quickly how to keep it all still on the ceilings. I guess the bottom line is we/she are not prepared to cover up all the trim with a coat of paint. It's just too nice. But, I'm gonna paint the trim in the master bath because it's pretty small anyway - no bath, just shower. Thanks for all the tips on sprucing the place up. Appreciate it.

Old 12-19-06, 11:02 AM
i wouldn't paint the woodwork either. the woodwork isn't the problem - it's the wall & curtain colors. i would add some color which will help redirect the attention. in that last photo, the walls are beige, the chair rail is beige, the curtain is off white........very bland. so all you have to look at is the comparison between the white of the windows versus the creaminess of the curtains & walls.

redecorate & you'll be fine. and feel free to paint the chair rail an accent color (maybe even with a wallpaper border placed right above it)!

Old 12-19-06, 03:09 PM
J
How about wood blinds...if I can even get them mounted with the new windows (no inside window mounting room). They would probably need something else, also. I took another couple of pics of this small area. This is a really nice little area flowing between the dining room and the family area, but it's kinda hard to do changes the way it's set up. Trust me, I get a little queezy showing our humble abode and I wouldn't unless it was necessary. Thanks again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/jimtnc/House%20stuff/P1010003.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/jimtnc/House%20stuff/P1010001-1.jpg

Old 12-19-06, 07:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually that was my first thought when I saw the first pic

I don't know much about how the wooden blinds are installed but I assume there are different installation methods [hardware] to accomadate different windows.

Old 12-20-06, 05:15 AM
J
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna look into blinds and cafe shutters also. Not sure if these are installable, but I've got a pretty good installer that can tell me yea or nay.

Would I still need extra window treatment (curtains, accents, etc) with this type application?

As you can see, I am clueless with all of this stuff. I'll stop asking all of these dumb questions very soon I hope, so y'all can enjoy Christmas.

Old 12-20-06, 05:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your more likely to get a dumb answer than having asked a dumb question

I'm no decorator but I figure the blinds or shutters are the window treatment. As long as the wife approves you should be good to go

Old 12-21-06, 03:15 AM
J
Okay, thanks mark and Annette for your help and ideas. I'm still going back and forth with the window treatment thing, but I'm sure something is gonna come out fo all this.

Thanks, again.

Jim

Old 12-21-06, 07:01 AM
i really don't have a problem with the dark woodwork or the white windows. the problem is that there is no other white anywhere and the rest of the room is just so beige-on-beige-on-beige, which makes the white seem out of place. if you could introduce some white into the room (maybe with new draperies that have white and beige in the pattern - like a floral or plaid - plus some other colors) it would help. or adding more color to the walls. and that's all easy stuff. way easier than painting woodwork!

Old 12-21-06, 02:37 PM
J
Annette - I've had some folks to recommend painting the upper wall part above the chair rail a darker shade than the "below" color and put the stained rail back up to add some contrast, continuity, and get the eyes off of the windows.

But, it seems like no one has addressed the "white" windows affect (if there would still be one), except to recommend painting all the trim white, and we really don't want to do that unless no other options. I've had some really good suggestions about window treatment's, etc, but I still don't know whether I can achieve any thing like that with the lack of window area to attach the treatments. I'm gonna get the guy that installed the windows to give me some help there.

BTW, you have some really good incite on our situation, it seems. Thanks for you continued support and help.

Merry Christmas and a safe one too.

Old 12-21-06, 02:45 PM
if at all possible, the chair rail should be stained - better yet, replaced with one that looks more like a chair rail instead of door casing (sorry, no offense intended).

painting a darker shade of the same beige would add "some" interest, but still not enough to be worthwhile, in my opinion. don't be so afraid of color - actual color, like blue, burgundy, sage green, etc.

and the style of your window treatment is fine, just change the fabric to one with a multi-colored pattern. for example, a floral pattern could have a navy blue background with lighter blue, burgundy & mauve flowers & several shades of green for foliage and hints of gold and white and beige mixed in. then you could select one or two of those colors to paint the wall with. and another one for a new area rug under the table. then you'd have some interest & color going on, and no one would even notice the white windows.

also, i like your chandelier & sconces, but your mirror is a little dated (again, no offense). you could easily change it out for a picture, which would add yet another spot for some more color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: