Cleaning Paint Brushes

Old 12-18-06, 12:38 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Paint Brushes

Hello All,

I searched the forums but did not find a real answer to this simple question;

How do you best clean a paint brush after you have used it for 2 - 3 hours with latex paint?

I am working on painting a bunch of trim in my house. After the first 2 painting sessions, my brushes are now brittle and wirey. I used hot soap and water first. Then even tried mineral spirits. Still, the brushes are not as good as new.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-06, 01:18 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
It sounds like you just didn't get all the paint out. I use lukewarm water and no soap. After I wash the brushes I spin dry them in a bucket, put the covers back on and hang them up.

Old 12-18-06, 03:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If the water is too hot it can ruin a good brush. I usually use cold water [warm when I can get it ] Soap/detergent can help but usually isn't necesarry. Use a wire brush to 'comb' the bristles away from the handle. This will both help to clean away any dried paint and reorient the bristles in the correct position.

A good latex brush that is taken care of will last for a long time.

Old 12-18-06, 06:33 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

2 quick follow up questions;

1. How do you 'spin' the brushes dry?
2. How much should a good brush cost? Any particular qualities I should look for in a good brush?

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-06, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hot soap and water and a wire brush. You use the wire brush to comb the bristles while you are cleaning it with the soapy water, which eventually takes all the paint off.

Brushes should look like new after you are done painting. They can be used over and over again if you clean them well. That's why painters buy good brushes, and then clean them out well. They will last for years. If there's any paint left on the brush, it's not clean enough.

Spinning the brushes is done with a tool that you can purchase- you pump a spiral handle up and down and it spins the roller or brush you have on the other end. You ususally want to flatten them out to keep the bristles together afterward and keep the brush in it's paper sleeve after it's dried somewhat.

I like to put just a light coating of vaseline on my brushes to smooth out the bristles and keep them all together. (kind of like a bit of brylcream in your hair!)

Good brushes are usually available at paint stores- Purdy is a good one. Sherwin Williams also has some nice professional grade ones. Between $15-20 will be a good brush. Less than $10 is likely a low quality knockoff.

Old 12-18-06, 08:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
One additional thought, mineral spirits will cut oil based paint, but doesn't help clean latex paint.

Old 12-19-06, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Some waterborne formulas [especially stains] may require 1 rinse in mineral spirits/paint thinner to completely clean them - follow up with soap and water.

As XSleeper pointed out, you should always return the clean dry brush to the wrapper it came in - this helps it to retain it's shape. If you have lost the shuck, wrapping it in paper will work. You can also 'spin' a brush by rolling the handle back and forth in your hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: