how much imperfections does paint fill up? how long it take to dry?

Old 12-27-06, 02:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how much imperfections does paint fill up? how long it take to dry?

2 questions, first, i have bogged my walls and sanded flat but i have lots of these small little pinhead size holes in the bog, do all these have to be removed or will the paint fill them up and they wont be noticable afterwards?

second, how long do you have to wait to apply second coat of paint after you put the first one one?? like how long after i put on primer can i apply next coat?

Old 12-27-06, 03:07 AM
S
Sometimes paint will fill them, sometimes not
It's best to fill them before painting to make sure
A lightweight latex "Spackle" is usually the best way to fill them

Dry times will be on the back of the can
Some primers can be topcoated in two hours, some 6 or 7 hours
Paint is usually best to dry overnight, but often can be re-coated after 4 hours if conditions are right

Old 12-27-06, 04:42 AM
T
Paint label drying times represent an average drying time. Temperature and humidity are two variables that come into play.

Old 12-27-06, 05:37 AM
Generally, you shouldn't count on paint covering any imperfections in the surface being painted. That is why you should take pains to have the surface properly prepared prior to painting. By the way, what does one do when you "bog" the wall? I'm not familiar with that term. Thanks

Old 12-27-06, 06:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Sometimes paint fills defects, other times it makes them more obvious. Best bet is to assume the paint isn't going to cover them and make them diappear with spackle instead. Just keep in mind that you'll want to prime any spackle before painting over it.

Old 12-27-06, 01:15 PM
T
cool, i will fix them up. and "bog" is probably australian slang if you dont know what it means, it means to patch the wall using a filler of some sort.

Old 12-27-06, 02:57 PM
B
I'm going out on a limb and say you used drywall mud and perhaps applied it too thick or didn't mix it up enough. When it dried and you sanded, you exposed the little holes. Yes, "bog" it again, just a thin coat this time.
What did you use to sand it - sandpaper, sanding screen, or sanding sponge? The sponge works great if you have just a little to do. Otherwise, use a sanding screen (fine grit) and pole sander.

BTW - if you hold a bright light at an angle, you may see even more imperfections. The second "bog" and the right sanding tools will fix those.

Old 12-30-06, 08:18 PM
D
patching

When patching walls several (3,4,5) thin coats of joint compound is better than 1 or 2 thick coats. You should not have to sand much if you take the time to lay it on smoothly. It will take some extra muscle but it is worth it. On large patch jobs I usually do the large gaps and taping on the first pass before lunch then my second pass after lunch. On the second day it is nothing but thin skim coats. As many as it takes. Use a heat gun between coats to speed up drying. Keep it moving.

also, NEVER USE VINYL SPACKLE FOR ANYTHING, EVER.
It is hard to sand smooth. It will leave a shiny spot after it is painted. Joint compound will get the job done.

Old 12-31-06, 03:27 AM
T
thats what i did, several layers of thin coats of jointing compound, i never had any spackle and couldnt be bothered going out to egt any so i used jointing compound again, and it worked.
also, theres nothing like a power sander, so much easier than manual sanding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: