what type of paint to use?

Old 12-28-06, 06:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what type of paint to use?

What type of paint do I need to use? I am using all Ben Moore paint. I am going to use Hi-gloss regal for my trim. What do I need for the walls and ceiling? flat, egg-shell, satin, semi-gloss? My drywall guy recommends eggshell for everything, but I don't think he is right.

Old 12-28-06, 09:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
The higher the sheen, the more durable and washable it will be. However, the higher the sheen, the more it will show imperfections in your wall. Flat paint is typically used on ceilings and lots of people prefer it on their walls. I prefer satin on my walls and we use eggshell in our rental units.

Old 12-28-06, 10:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Since your drywall finisher recomends eggshell, it means he's fairly confident he did a good job I'm not real familiar with BM product lines but your BM rep should be able to help decide which line will do the best job with your budget.

Personally I prefer flat on all ceilings with the exception of the bath rooms, they should be enamel. I like satin/eggshell on the walls but a good quality flat is fine for rooms that don't get a lot of wear - think kids Baths and kitchens should have enamel on the walls - any sheen will work fine.

Slickshift will be along later and can better suggest specific BM products.

Old 12-28-06, 10:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with BM Regal.

Old 12-30-06, 02:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The Regal line is excellent

If the trim is glossy, you could do eggshell or flat on the walls
Eggshell is generally more mold resistant, and easier to clean than flat
It used to be you'd find eggshell in kitchens and baths, and flat in other rooms
I'd say these days is common to put eggshell in any room
I do more non-K&B interiors eggshell every year

For the ceiling, flat white is still the most common
I have done many eggshell ceilings in kitchens and baths, and when the ceiling is wall color or another color other than white

If you go with flat white on the ceiling, I'd suggest Ben Moore's Muresco ceiling paint, rather than the Regal Line
It's a little less drippy, and has great coverage and color for ceilings

If you go with off-white or a color, or eggshell, on the ceiling, the Regal is fine

So, I'd say the most popular combo lately has been gloss trim, eggshell walls and flat ceiling
But you've got a little leeway if you'd like it a little different

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: