poly over paint on chair rail

Old 01-04-07, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
poly over paint on chair rail

I have a kitchen wall in an old house, and alongside are a round kitchen table w chairs, and I have brats. The results of having brats in chairs near a wall is that the wall gets a row of dings, some deep, at chair rail height. I'm preparing oak chair rails painted to match the walls, w 2 coats of primer and 2 or 3 color coats (dark, latex, eggshell), so far. I don't want to do this twice, if I don't have to. I'm contemplating applying 3 or 4 layers of satin poly over the color, for extra protection. I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

I have 3/4 gal of oil based poly on the shelf, but I believe that will discolor over time, so I'm hesitant to use it. Water based seems like a better choice. I wonder how that will hold up in this kind of application? Am I better off with a couple of more coats of the color, and let it go at that?

THANKS for any thoughts or advice.

Old 01-04-07, 07:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums

Oil base poly will often darken the color of paint it is applied over. Although it will yellow some as it ages, it usually isn't noticable with darker colors. Oil base poly is a lot more durable than latex poly.

IMO it is a bad idea to coat the trim with poly, especially oil base poly. When it comes time to repaint, sanding and primer is needed for paint to adhere correctly. 2 coats of enamel should be sufficent. It will need repainting in the future and I doubt a coat of poly would increase the life of the paint job by much.

I understand about rug rats and paint. My house walls were all painted with eggshell/satin while the kids were at home. We switched to a high quality flat after they left home but........we forgot about the grandson. Half of my house needs washing from 3' down

BTW is there a reason you painted oak chair rail instead of staining it. Stain and poly usually wears better than paint. Paint grade chair rail is a lot cheaper than oak.

Old 01-04-07, 08:03 PM
M
Thanks, marksr. Well, I picked the oak for the hardness alone, thinking it would hold up better against the little monsters and their chair bonking. If I left it natural, though (not painted) it would be the only unpainted thing in the room. All the trim is painted white, and the walls are a kind of maroon cranberry. The chair rail is painted to match the wall. Your point about the re-painting task makes very good sense. I'll add another coat or two of the color, just for the heck of it, and go with that.

Actually, the monsters aren't very little anymore, and the bonks are harder. And there's only about 10' of rail, so the money didn't add up to much.

Old 01-04-07, 08:25 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oak is a hard wood species, but it will still ding and dent. It makes no matter what type of finish, if wood is subjected to banging by chairs the wood will dent.

Pulling table and chairs out from wall during dining and placing children on side opposite from wall may be an option for protecting chair rail. Perhaps you could lay a temporary buffer along baseboard to prevent chairs from getting near wall? Perhaps pulling table out and placing a bench there or a bookcase or other barrier? Another option may be to install padded slip covers on chair backs? This would provide protection for wall and greater comfort when seated. Or provide children with backless stools rather than chairs?

Old 01-04-07, 10:11 PM
K
Sell the children.

I've used poly over some painted woodwork (waterbased) simply because its easier to clean the greasy kid prints off of. If it's not that much, even if you have to repaint, the poly will make clean up easier and add durability. Note--lower gloss is better--that way if you use the magic eraser (a parent's best friend) you don't have large spots where the gloss is gone.

Old 01-05-07, 10:48 AM
M
I've been thinking about putting them up on e-bay.

Old 01-05-07, 05:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
My kids are grown and gone but when they were little no one told me that was an option

Old 01-05-07, 06:59 PM
K
Let me know how e-bay works for you, I was considering Craig's list, but depending on how high the bidding goes on e-bay I may change my mind. However, doesn't e-bay offer buyers some guarentee--what if the buyer tries to return them? I mean seriously--I think mine are defective--they create tornadoes of dirt, damage and destruction in their wakes and I suspect any buyer would figure this out in short order and bring them back-Ackk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: