wood stain fumes

Old 01-06-07, 12:57 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wood stain fumes

I have inadvertantly used exterior wood stain on the interior of hardwood windows and have been told I should have used an interior stain. Is there a possibility of a long term problem with fumes?

Old 01-06-07, 01:01 AM
T
Fumes from offgassing of volatile organic compounds used in the manufacturing of wood stain will eventually dissipate. Some take longer than others. In the meantime, make sure there is good ventilation. Some are more sensitive than others to fumes. Check label for flammability. If there is a spark or there is a gas heat source, fumes could be a severe problem.

Old 01-06-07, 02:18 AM
S
slow learner

There is a radiator beneath one of the windows will this cause the wood to give off more fumes when in use? Is there a sealant that could be used to stop the fumes?

Old 01-06-07, 06:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The only times I've used exterrior stains inside have been on rough sawn beams or ceilings. All stained interior woodwork [doors, windows, etc] should be sealed with several coats of varnish/poly.

Because of the way exterior stains are formulated I don't know if latex poly would adhere well to the the exterior stain. Oil base shouldn't pose a problem. The first coat of poly or sanding sealer will raise the grain, sand and dust and apply 1-2 more coats of poly for a nice slick finish.

Once dry and cured the heat from the radiator shouldn't affect anything.

Old 01-06-07, 08:57 AM
G
There are potential health concerns with exterior coatings used indoors. There are several chemicals that used exterior are not harmful, but contained indoors are not healthy. These include, mildicides, and other chemicals designed to weather the elements.

Talk to your paint store you purchased from and discuss this issue. It may even be best to contact the MFG (# should be on can) and talk to technical rep.

There is a chance that no harm will come of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: