Painting over old paint?

Old 01-06-07, 08:53 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting over old paint?

I bought a 20 year old house, and am trying to paint the garage. The garage is finished with drywall. The problem is when I roll the paint on, the old paint flakes off, which gets in the roller and makes for an uneven suface. I painted a about an 8' by 16' section, let it dry, sanded it down then repainted and it worked. Some parts of the drywall relieve themselves of paint easily, some parts I can go 6' without old any paint flaking off.

This gararge is 24' by 24' with a drywalled ceiling, is there a product that will cure this, or do I have to keep painting and sanding to get it right? I'm using Olympic flat white latex.

I'm sure the only coat of paint these walls had was 20 years ago, seems like when I use a brush, the problem is limited. But you can see spots where the paint has been peeling from the old paint, releasing itself from the drywall when it dries.

Thanx for your time.

Old 01-07-07, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Because a garage has higher humidiy than living areas couple with the fact that a cheap grade of interior latex was probably used the paint has degraded to the point that when it gets wet with fresh paint, it starts to disolve.

Sanding and maybe washing the old paint should remove the deteriated paint allowing you to successfully paint the walls.

Old 01-07-07, 06:42 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sand, scrape, and wash any loose stuff off
Then a coat of Zinsser's "Gardz" to seal it would be my suggestion
It's designed for problem areas
Then top coat with a quality paint

Old 01-08-07, 05:51 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'll try some sanding on a section before painting to see what happens (at least it will save a step). If that don't work I'll try the Zinnsers, but at $23 a gallon it seems like the dollars will add up fast just to paint some drywall, but if thats what it takes to get it right, so be it.

I'm the second owner of this house, I guess I just don't understand why someone would go 20 years without painting the garage.

Old 01-09-07, 07:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Some people are just strange Because the garage is not part of the 'living' area, some tend to dismiss it's need for maintinence. Most builders don't pay the painter for painting the garage so often the original paint job is substandard.

I once had a rich lady customer who was spending gobs of money on the interior. She had a fit when I pointed out all the ceiling repairs and stains were caused by a roof that needed replacing. She was reluctent to spend the money on the roof because she said "nobody sees the roof" New furniture, tile and hardwood, cabinets and a lexus in the garage - all things her friends would see, but a roof........ ain't ya glad we're not like that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: