How Do I remove Oil Based Paint?

Old 01-13-07, 08:08 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Do I remove Oil Based Paint?

When I was 13 or so I painted a mural on one of the walls of my bedroom. Now at 21 it does not look as good as it use to, and my parents would like me to do something about it. I would like to paint another mural over it using acrilics and latex paint but I know it won't stay becaus I used an oil pased paint. The Mural covers an area of about 8 ft x 13 ft. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Last edited by eidechse; 01-13-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-13-07, 08:26 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mural will have to be sealed with an oil-based primer/sealer. Usually a couple coats will do the job. Then, you can paint. Make sure walls are clean before beginning. Many recommend washing down with harsh detergent or TSP (trisodium phosphate) to remove all soil. If walls are smooth and the young artist blobbed on paint or applied thick layers, then they will need to be sanded smooth.

Old 01-13-07, 08:35 PM
E
Are you saying that I need to sand down the texture that is there from my previous painting and then put a primer over it? Would this allow me to paint over it with latex paint, or would the paint I use over it have to be oil based again?

Old 01-13-07, 09:00 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If mural paint was applied to smooth walls and caused the walls to no longer be flat and smooth, then walls need to be sanded smooth. If walls are smooth, then light sanding over the slick oil paint would rough it up a bit to provide better adhesion for the primer primer. After appying a couple coats of oil-based primer to seal, you can paint with the latex. If you live where it is cold, you may want to postpone the project until spring when you can open the windows so ventilation will help with any paint fumes.

Old 01-13-07, 09:07 PM
E
Thank you so much for your help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: