Paint walls or install wood floors first?

Old 01-15-07, 06:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint walls or install wood floors first?

We live in a nice condo... but it is in need of some updates. We plan to repaint the entire unit AND install hardwoods. However, we do not know which to do first. What is recommended? Any advice is greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-07, 09:17 AM
T
Paint walls and then install hardwood flooring. One advantage is that you do not have to worry about getting paint on the existing floor covering.

Old 01-15-07, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
It doesn't make a whole lot of difference what comes first. Generally you start at the top and do the bottom last [paint then flooring] but installing flooring will always mess up the paint a little - usually no big deal to touch up. Good use of drop cloths should keep any paint from getting on the new floor. Scheduling usually determines which gets done first.

btw - welcome to the diy forums!

Old 01-15-07, 02:27 PM
S
Usually the painters are in last
But that has a lot to do with touch ups, fixing mistakes, blobs, chips, etc...

Covering the floor with drops and cleaning up paint on the finished wood is easier than touching up holes in the walls and ripped up trim after it's been painted
And no "sub-contractors" want to come back to touch-up a job they finished a week or two ago because another "sub" messed it up

If I had my druthers as a painter, and was able to rig it
...or was doing the work, or having the work done on my house
I'd like to paint then floor (if I trusted the floor guys not to really ruin my work)

It just rarely works out that way

Old 01-17-07, 11:12 AM
J
Okay, say the floor is currently carpeted.... and we want to replace the carpets with hardwoods. Will the baseboards need to be lowered, raised or moved? And, if so, will this leave a gap that needs to be painted? I'm just thinking about the difference in height and thickness between the hardwoods and the carpet...... and thinking the floors might need to be done first. Tips? Advice? Thanks so much! )

Old 01-17-07, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Base is typically 1/2" above the floor to allow the carpet to be tucked under the base. Depending on the type of hardwood you use the base may be fine as is with the addition of shoe moulding.