Spraying oil-based paint

Old 01-18-07, 05:37 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spraying oil-based paint

We've finished all of the trim, baseboards, and molding; now it's time to take down the doors and do them. 15+ doors, so I'm hoping that a sprayer will work. Will pretty much any sprayer be OK with solvent-based paints? Anything special to look for? This would be done in a well-masked garage to avoid overspray.

thanks
Wendy W.

Old 01-18-07, 05:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What type of sprayer do you have? or planing to buy,rent?

Oil base can be sprayed with either an air powered cup gun/pressure pot or with an airless. An airless would be preferred as it puts out a greater volume of paint. I don't have any experience with the cheap home owner type airless's so I can't advise on them.

Old 01-19-07, 09:21 AM
W
Oil-based paint

Well, having priced renting one, we might be brushing after all. Particularly if borrowing a neighbor's compressor and using it won't produce a very good result. We're taking the doors from darkish off-white to a much brighter white, so we want good coverage.

It'd take at least 2 days' rental to give 2 coats to both sides of all of the doors, and I'm not sure it's worth that much, especially when you add in taking them down and re-hanging them as well.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-19-07, 12:11 PM
G
Actually, a cup gun would be best for your situation. As you are doing doors and trim, speed may not be your best method. Airless is faster, but your potential for runs and sags are greater.

If you rent, ask the paint store about a "Weekend" rate. Most pro painters don't work weekends, (in general) and the rental equipment sits idle over the weekend. Some paint stores will do like $75/weekend plus deposit. You probably need to ask about it though.

Oil should go through a cup gun with little problems. Some thinning may be required (10% w/thinner). Primer can dry in as little as 30 minutes. I would suggest SW Sandzrite primer. Dries to a sandable dust in ~30-45 minutes. Dusting is important, as lesser primers can "pill" when sanded. This is a real pain in the rear for fine finishing.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-07, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Are they panel doors or flush? A flat door can be rolled with a 1/4" mohair roller cover with decent results.

A cup gun [powered by air comp] will do a good job on panel doors but is far from fast. Spraying takes a lot of cfm so the compressor needs to be big enough to handle the job. If the old paint is in decent shape spraying should provide 1 coat coverage - you may need to spray a 'tack' coat and then another coat a little later [like every couple of doors] to prevent runs with the thinned down enamel.

It is always a good idea to strain paint that is to be sprayed - especially important with a cup gun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: