Shiney flat?

Old 01-21-07, 03:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shiney flat?

So I had a wall nicely primed with a tint a little bit lighter than the finished color. I got around to rolling the wall with a SW Rockwood Terra Cotta of the "ColorAccents" variety in a flat finish. All went well - as well as could be expected with the combo of me and a wall being painted.

The only thing is I see some areas that have a light surface sheen to it. It's not an obvious shine but with me looking at it closely with different angles I notice it. It's not an edge of the roller thing but more the width of the roller, if you know what I mean. It's only in a couple of places and not the length of the roll.

It's not a wall that, with the lighting, would show it as an obvious defect (meaning it stays as is at this point but I know it's there) but how is that avoided? I tried to do what I thought was right - mainly the last roll going in the same direction.

I'll be faced with other walls that won't be so forgiving, as far as the lighting and would like to avoid this type of result. Hints/tips?

Old 01-21-07, 03:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
If I remember correctly color accents is for deep colors. A lot of pigment will cause deep colors to have a slight sheen, most of which should go away as the paint cures.

Old 01-21-07, 04:00 PM
C
OK - I'm going to hold you to that. Only kidding. Like I said, it's not a disturbing amount and I'm sure it won't be noticed when things are in place against that wall but you know how it is when you try for that perfect mental image of the outcome and you miss. A little disappointing. I haven't painted a wall in over 30 years so I blame the painter.

I painted it yesterday and it does seem to be a little less noticeable than it was but, then again, I AM looking for defects...

Old 01-21-07, 06:49 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How many coats of Color Accents?

Old 01-21-07, 11:18 PM
C
3... 1st wasn't a real good solid coat - on a knockdown texture with a 1" sheepskin roller. Overkill?

20' wide by 10' high. Started with 2 gals and a quart and left me with about 1/2 gallon - a tad less. All mixed in one bucket. The last coat I tried to apply as evenly and as progressively/orderly as possible.

I forgot I have two wall sconce lamps - how I don't know, with the work boxes and wires staring at me. I'll put them up tomorrow and I guess I'll really see how obvious it might be then. Of course, right now, the more I look - the more I see it...

The main thing is I know it shouldn't 'finish' like that so I want to improve my "skills" for the future.

Old 01-22-07, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I like sheepskin/lambs wool covers but 1" is way to big for interior walls. 3/8" or 1/2" is preffered for interior walls. If the walls are slick finished I'd use the 3/8" Color accents has never been known for great coverage. 2 coats over tinted primer is normal.

Just reread your post and see you have knockdown texture, so use 1/2" If the texture is heavy I like to slop it on so it will "run" into all the crevices and then gently re roll it all smooth.

Old 01-23-07, 05:42 AM
R
Hello,

"I haven't painted a wall in over 30 years so I blame the painter."

A common knock against rollers has always been their inability to lay out an even coat. Areas of uneven sheen &/or holidays are the natural tendency of a roller.
A brush will lay out a more even finish. The drawback here is that proper brush technique is something that need you need to develop over time.

My Dad worked for the old Glidden Paint Co. for 40 years. He started in the 40's. I remember many a Saturday in the late 1950's that he'd get "stuck" having to watch me as a kid, and drag me into the "office" - (the store he was based out of). Paint rollers are so commonplace these days, it's hard to imagine a paint store not having them. Point in fact is though, that the paint roller had been invented in 1940 by a competitor of Glidden (Sherwin Williams).
Until the patents ran out in 1960, paint rollers weren't common in a lot of paint stores except S&W.
(Interesting times - the early days of DIY. Glidden invented latex paint, and S&W held the rights to the most efficient way for a DIY'er to apply it.)

Anyhow - I'm drifting.

When I went to work in a paint store in 1966, many of the older pro's would come in and explain why they preferred a 5" or 6" brush for painting walls over a roller. Popular "propaganda" dismissed the idea that a brush layed out a more even coat by saying it took longer to brush it, and the union was against anything that took less time to do. Nothing could be further from the truth. A good man with a 6" brush could outrun a roller in most cases.
Being a young kid - with a strong back - my first few years consisted of a lot of job site deliveries. I got to see a number of good brush men in action.
A lot of those guys could cut in a laser beam straight edge around trim with a 5" or 6" brush - so fast & with such an effortless stroke - it was amazing.

Oops -drifting again.

Back on topic.
Cold can also affect the sheen level. Hot or cold spots on the wall can cause the paint to dry unevenly.
Also as marksr pointded out, heavily pigmented coatings have more sheen ; the sheen will usually even out as the film cures (about 30 days) ; after 30 days a very slight film of housedust should even out things somewhat.
Lighting and shadows should also take care of the rest of the appearance. Once you get all the furnishings back in place, unless the difference is very dramatic, you're probably the only one that will notice it.

Old 01-23-07, 07:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Rich E View Post
A good man with a 6" brush could outrun a roller in most cases.

When I started painting the 6" brush was being down sized to a 5" which we used to cut in walls for a roller [or brushed exteriors] A 6" brush in action will cover as much area as a roller because when the brush hits the wall it spreads out - covering about the same area. Often it was cheaper/easier to paint an accent wall with a brush than to get a roller and 5 gal bucket and then have to clean them up.

I quit using large brushes about 10 yrs before I had to retire, the extra weight [paint and brush] really began to affect my tennis elbow - and I've never played tennis

Old 02-04-07, 10:07 PM
C
I see what you all mean about the curing of the paint. It did settle down somewhat and I have no problem with the results, overall.

The overall shade also settled in somewhat as well. That TerraCotta color is a reddish/clayish/brownish kind of color and the reddish part of it seems to have "chilled out" rather nicely. At first it seemed a little too red but it either "settled" or I got used to it. Either way, it's better than that splotchy, streaky, crappy shade of brown that I was looking at...

And marksr - I don't know how I ended up with the 1" for that wall. I think I bought that one for the outside stucco? I really thought I had a shorter one ready for that job but by the time I pulled it out of the bag - it was too late - I was ready to roll and didn't want to lose my ambition.

I did find the 2 shorter ones that I forgot I bought in the garage a few days later.

Thanks for the input!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: