Applying spackling/Painter putty

Old 01-31-07, 05:48 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Applying spackling/Painter putty

I know the debate whether to use putty or spackling has been hashed over before, but my question has to do with the application of them. I have a bunch of nail holes on trim to fill in a remod project. Seems like if you apply spackling(or putty) with your finger into a nail hole and wipe off flush with the surface, that when you paint you will see a dimple. I think the only way I got a good finish last time was to leave the spackling high, then sand flush. Leaving the spacking hi is much more time comsuming than just swiping with you finger, if you leave too high you've got lost of sanding to do.
Since I will be painting with latex, I am skeptical on painters putty. The putty seems to bleed thru after time.
Is there a different way to apply spackling with concentrating on each hole to leave hi, or are there other products that work better?

thanks.....Larry

Old 01-31-07, 06:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
It is always better to use painters putty for nail holes and save the spackling for drywall. I've not has any problems with putty bleeding thru quality latex and/or waterborne coatings. I use the SWP's 66 glazing which isn't as oily as painters putty.

The correct way to apply putty is to push and twist it into the hole and then either wipe it smooth with your thumb or a putty knife.

If you must use spackling, you are correct that it would best be applied a tad high and then sanded smooth as it will tend to shrink as it dries. I would apply it with a putty knife and keep my fingers clean.

Last edited by marksr; 01-31-07 at 07:02 AM. Reason: add info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: