Painting a block basement wall

Old 02-06-07, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a block basement wall

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to paint a block basement wall. We are 'finishing' our basement but don't want to go the drywall route due to some past water issues, so I'm trying to find a nice finish that would minmize the visual of the block. I'm not sure if I want to do a faux feature or perhaps try some type of textured paint? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by Annette; 02-09-07 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-07, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
All block should first be primed with blockfill [fills the pores] since it is a basement use drylok instead. Once you have a couple of good coats of drylok applied, you will have a good base for whatever type of finish you want to use. Personally I don't have a problem with painted block as long as it is properly done.

Old 02-09-07, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
unless you're planning on somehow smoothing out all the lines around each block, you won't be able to "hide" the grid lines with any kind of faux design, so you might as well work WITH the lines. since it's a basement & a casual area, have fun with it. do a horizontal striped design or paint each block a different color, or try to make them seem more like stones or bricks, instead of cement block, etc.