Basement Painting --- Need Ideas

Old 02-08-07, 10:15 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basement Painting --- Need Ideas

I am fixing up part of my basement for the kids (boys age 10 - 13).

I am not making it into living space. The boys need/want any area where they can play and not worry about breaking stuff. Part of the basement is walled off with 2x4 and drywall and the other walls are just concrete. Some painted by previous owner.

Part of the ceiling (exposed joists,wiring,ducting etc is painted a dark brown) and the other part is not painted at all.

I intend to paint the entire ceiling area white. I thought about using just a white primer first and then see how that looks....

I do have a Wagner sprayer and I do intend on using it to shoot the paint and then probably come back a back roll/brush areas if needed.

Then on the poured concrete walls I just plan on painting with a latex gloss/semigloss exterior paint and regular interior latex on the drywall.

I will then put down some carpetting..not sure if I want to do squares of wall-to-wall.

Let me know if anyone has doen this in the past...

Any tips and ideas are appreciated.

Old 02-08-07, 10:35 AM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't use an exterior paint on interior concrete
Short of any moisture (or other) problems, just prime and paint as you would interior latex

Old 02-08-07, 10:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
It would be a good idea to prime any unpainted concrete with drylok first.

You might want to rethink spraying the ceiling/floor joists with white paint. I know it will make the room brighter but white paint will highlight any cracks, wiring, shadows, etc. I'm sure that's why it's painted dark now.

Old 02-08-07, 06:04 PM
G
2nd that warning on NO EXTERIOR PAINT INSIDE.

1. It is less durable. Who ever scrubbs their house anyway? Exterior paint doesn't clean very well at all.

2. Mildicide-Shmildicide....those odors aint cause they are good for you. Exterior paint has additives that interior paint doesn't need or want. Mildicides,drying agents, and some other nasties that outgass for MONTHS.
These agents have the potential for making you sick and your house smell bad.

3. Exterior paint is not better for sealing out moisture. Unless you are using an elastomeric, or Dry-Lock exerior paint IS NOT WATERPROOF. If you have a damp basement, house paint isn't going to help. If anything you will ruin the wall for future waterproofing. These products only work on bare concrete.

Old 02-09-07, 05:18 AM
S
2nd here for the drylock on the concrete surfaces, if they are not already painted.

A sheet vinyl material would be a good moisture barrier to keep dampness from coming up through the slab. Then you can throw a rug over it so that the floor is not cold.

Watch your ceiling with your little ones - you dont' want them dangling from the exposed pipes and wires. You might consider a cheap ceiling grid/tile. Home Depot/Lowes sells a plastic ceiling grid system that can be screwed to the underside of joists and make it look half decent.

Old 02-09-07, 07:01 AM
K
Actually, the paint person at Lowe's suggested the exterior paint for the concrete...I thought it was a bit different..

For the ceiling, I actually thought about putting up aluminum soffit (used to for eaves & overhangs....

Thanks for your thoughts...

Old 02-09-07, 07:06 AM
K
I don't think I have a moisture problem as there is some very old carpetting on the slab already...

How would I know? I am going to tear it up soon..what should I look for, mold?

Old 02-09-07, 07:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
The easiest way to test for moisture is to tape a square foot or so of plastic to the floor - if no moisture gets trapped your in great shape.

Mold or stains on the bottom side of the carpet would indicate a moisture problem but it could also be from water/liquid that soaked thru from above the carpet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: